Use this guide to identify venues and resources within Georgia State University and to familiarize yourself with internal policy, forms and procedures related to planning and executing events.
Contracts and agreements related to events with non-GSU entities should be entered into by the Board of Regents on behalf of Georgia State University and the Robinson College of Business. Individual faculty and staff should not sign contracts. All contracts require a contract routing form as well as review and approval from GSU Legal Affairs. The routing form is approved by the department chair or head, dean (see note below), and Office of Legal Affairs. All contracts of $25,000 or more in Georgia State University expenditures or revenues must be reviewed and signed by Jerry Rackliffe, senior vice president for finance and administration.
Ralph Kahlan, Nate Bennett and Dean Phillips are the three authorized signatories for the Robinson College. Once the routing form has been signed by the department chair or head, then please route your contract, if it’s less than $25,000, to Ralph Kahlan. If Ralph is unavailable, route the contract to either Nate Bennett or Dean Phillips. For contracts $25,000 and over, route to Jerry Rackliffe instead of Ralph Kahlan.
The university adheres to strict guidelines regarding the service of alcohol. A Request to Serve Alcohol form must be completed and signed by the dean, the caterer serving the alcohol and building manager of the event facility. For events with more than 75 possible attendees or where alcohol will be served for more than two hours, a signature must be obtained from the university police chief or designee stating a police officer(s) will be in attendance at the event. Hand deliver the completed request to the Office of Legal Affairs for approval at least two weeks prior to the event.
Questions regarding the service of alcohol should be directed to GSU Legal Affairs at 404-413-0500.
Alcohol Policy Quick Links
Planning an Event: Getting Started
The Robinson College has an Eventbrite account to provide (free) online registration for all of your events. Eventbrite will process credit card transactions, manage databases and generate reports. Contact Diane Moore for more information.
Georgia State University Venues
GSU Student Center
Rental of the student center and university center is free for GSU departments and student organizations, as long as there is no sponsorship money involved in putting on the event and there is no attendance charge. A/V equipment is offered at a discounted rate as well. All catered food must be provided through University Dining Services (a.k.a. PantherDining) or an approved caterer. Sodexho Food Services has the catering contract for the Student Center and University Center, and a menu is available to download. It is possible to bring in an outside caterer if a Food Waiver Request is submitted and approved by Boyd Beckwith, the director of the Student Center. If an outside caterer is used, then 5% of the total catering bill will be payable to the Student Center. For more information on Sodexho/PantherDining, contact 404-413-9601.
For more information or to inquire about space availability, contact Event Management, 305 Student Center East, at email@example.com or 404-413-1870.
Student Center Quick Links
- Room Capacities and Rental Rates
- Lounges & Seating Areas
- Reservations – Overview
- Reservation Policies
- Make a Reservation
- Reservable Spaces
- Event Planning Resources including Audio Visual Support and Food and Beverages
- Center Services including Wireless Network access; Event Promotion; Building and Event Services
- Display Areas & Information Tables
The Rialto Center for the Performing Arts
80 Forsyth Street
Just like the Student Center, the rental of space at the Rialto is free for departments and student organizations, as long as there is no paid sponsorship or ticket sales associated with the event.
Rialto Center Quick Links
Robinson College of Business
The Manners Room (seventh floor), Savannah Room (fourth floor), and conference rooms located on the third, sixth, 11th and 13th floors are available to reserve. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indian Creek Lodge and Recreation Area
Indian Creek Lodge is an off-campus facility that offers a large swimming pool and snack bar, a large rustic Indian Creek Lodge, picnic grounds, a sand volleyball court, tennis courts and a Challenge Program ropes course. It is located in Stone Mountain, about 20 minutes from the downtown campus.
Indian Creek Quick Links
- Contact Ellen Whitney at GSU’s recreation center for reservations at email@example.com or 404-413-1794.
- Reservation Request Form
- Lodge User Reviews
- Indian Creek Lodge Policies and Procedures
- Maps & Directions (Be sure to click the Indian Creek tab.)
Rental of Classrooms at GSU
Classrooms can be reserved in the downtown campus including the Aderhold Learning Center, General Classroom Building and Classroom South (a full list of classrooms is provided below.) Reservations are processed through the GSU Registrar’s Office.
Classroom Rental Quick Links
- Reserving classrooms for special events
- Reservation guidelines
- Reservation calendar
- Classroom updates
Satellite Office Classroom Rental
Classrooms may also be reserved in the college’s satellite offices.
- Buckhead Center
- Buckhead event space rental
Rental of Dormitories
Dorm rooms can be rented in the University Commons located on the downtown campus.
Watch a virtual video tour or contact 404-413-1800 for more information.
Publicizing Your Event on Campus
- Fill out a PantherVision Content Display Request to display your event information on the plasma screens located in the Robinson College, Alpharetta Center, Aderhold Learning Center, Buckhead Center and Peachtree Dunwoody Center.
Note: Panthervision submission is currently unavailable pending a system upgrade. Contact Andrea Judy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-413-7080 for more information.
- GSU events calendar at gsu.edu
- Contact Bobbin Wages »
- Robinson College events calendar at robinson.gsu.edu
- Contact Bobbin Wages »
- Display cases in Robinson College building
- Contact Jodie Harper at email@example.com or 404-413-7003 to display flyers in the display cases located next to the elevators on each floor.
- Student Media
- The Signal, GSU’s student newspaper, will advertise your events and Album 88, the student-run radio station, will announce PSAs.
- Display Areas & Information Tables
- Display cases in the University Center, poster display areas in the Student Center and banner display areas in the Student Center and around campus may be reserved by chartered student organizations and university departments to promote university activities. Learn more »
- Flyers can be displayed at the information desk located on the first floor of the GSU Student Center.
- Flyers can be left in the mailboxes of all GSU student organizations.The mailboxes are located on the third floor of the Student Center in the Student Life Office.
- Distribute flyers to the satellite campuses and offices via the mailboxes located in the dean’s office supply area.
- The General Classroom building and Classroom South have bulletin boards located throughout the building for posting flyers.
Auxiliary and Support Services provides the following resources:
- Parking on campus
- Requests for visitor parking on campus can be made by submitting this online form »
- Panther Express Shuttle
- The Panther Express Shuttle is managed by GSU Auxiliary Services. Buses may be rented for excursions on and off campus. Fill out the Panther Express Reservation Form »
- GSU Mail Services
- General information about services including an Online Check Request Form for bulk mail.
- GSU Office of Safety and Risk Management
- Occasionally you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Insurance for proof of insurance.
- Campus Printers
- Contact University Printing & Copy Corner »
GSU Public Relations and Marketing Communications creates image-building, branding, and promotional and marketing materials that positively position the university. Some of their resources include:
- Submit the Request a Photographer form to schedule a photo shoot.
Read about our procedures and prices »
A Model Release must be obtained from people whose images are used on the website, in print, on a CD-ROM/DVD, or other form of media.
- Graphic Design Services
- Contact Ellen Powell at 404-413-2000.
- GSU Police
- GSU police are available for event security as well as traffic control. Complete an Event Security Request Form to arrange for police services. The charge is $35/hour, and there is a four-hour minimum.
- Campus Map
- View a Georgia State campus map »
Sales and Use Tax Certificate of ExemptionState of Georgia Exemption of the Hotel/Motel Tax form (Located on page 2.)
- Contact Gordon Vernick, a GSU faculty member of the music department, to arrange for students and/or faculty to play at events at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-413-5922.
- GSU Archivist
- Laurel Bowen oversees GSU’s archives, which include special collections of photography and the history of the University.