George H. Zanjani
Risk Management and Insurance
J. Mack Robinson College of Business
Georgia State University
Room: 1110, RCB Building
Ph.D., in Economics, University of Chicago
A.B./B.S. in Economics and Biology, Stanford
George Zanjani is an associate professor in the Risk Management and Insurance Department of Georgia State University. He is also the inaugural holder of the American Association of Managing General Agents (AAMGA) Chair in Risk Management and Insurance. Prior to joining the department, he served as an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (2000-2008) specializing in policy work relating to insurance issues in the broader financial system. He also worked as an actuary at Fireman’s Fund Insurance Companies (1990-1994), focusing on commercial insurance pricing and heading the firm’s workers’ compensation actuarial unit in 1994.
George’s published work includes insurance papers in the Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Risk and Insurance and the American Economic Review. He has served on working groups formed by the Committee on the Global Financial System and the Presidential Working Group on Financial Markets.
George is an associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Chicago. He has served as president of the American Risk and Insurance Association (2012-2013) and president of the Risk Theory Society (2011-2012). He currently serves on the International Research Advisory Board of the Risk and Insurance Research Center of National Cheng-Chi University.
View Dr. Zanjani's resume »
- Zanjani, George. “Public versus Private Underwriting of Catastrophe Risk: Lessons from the California Earthquake Authority,” in Risking House and Home: Disasters, Cities, Public Policy, John M. Quigley and Larry A. Rosenthal (eds.), Berkeley: Berkeley Public Policy Press (2008).
- Zanjani, George. "Regulation, Capital, and the Evolution of Organizational Form in U.S. Life Insurance," American Economic Review 97, pp. 973-983 (2007).
- Lakdawalla, Darius, and Zanjani, George. "Insurance, Self Protection, and the Economics of Terrorism," (with Darius Lakdawalla), Journal of Public Economics 89, pp. 1891-1905 (2005).
- Lakdawalla, Darius, and Zanjani, George. "Terrorism Insurance Policy and the Public Good," (with Darius Lakdawalla), St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary 18, pp. 463-469 (2004).
- Zanjani, George. "Pricing and Capital Allocation in Catastrophe Insurance," Journal of Financial Economics 65, pp. 283-305 (2002).