Ph.D. in Information Systems, Arizona State University
M.B.A., Regis University
B.S. in Computer Science, Colorado Mesa University
Adoption and diffusion of health information systems
Consumer and patient-oriented information systems
IS business value, governance, outcomes, and impacts
Health policy and impacts
Enterprise systems management, development, and strategy
Dr. Baird received his Ph.D. in Information Systems from the W. P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. Before joining the Institute of Health Administration at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, he was a board member at the Arizona Health Information and Management Systems Society (AZ HIMSS) and a software developer/architect/project manager for a variety of companies including Penton Media, the University of California San Diego, and Data Systems and Solutions (a joint venture between SAIC and Rolls-Royce).
In 2009 he was recognized by the Phoenix (Arizona) newspaper and television media for participation in the development of H1N1 vaccine allocation and distribution software for the Maricopa County Department of Public Health. In 2012 he was awarded the Annual HIMSS Foundation Ph.D. Scholarship.
Professor Baird’s research has focused on the nexus of digital firm-consumer interactions (information sharing/provisioning, shared decision making, etc.) in the context of health care. Of particular interest are the emerging classes of health information systems that connect patients and health providers through digital mediums&mbash;e.g. patient portals, Personal Health Records (PHRs), and related medical devices and systems. He has collaborated with a variety of health systems and agencies including the Mayo Clinic, Dignity Health, and the Maricopa County Department of Public Health. He also enjoys research and applied work in enterprise information systems, cloud-computing, information systems architecture and design, and project management.
- Baird, A., Furukawa, M., and T. S. Raghu, “Understanding Contingencies Associated with the Early Adoption of Customer-Facing Web Portals,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Forthcoming.
- Baird, A., T. S. Raghu, and S. Tulledge-Scheitel, “The Role of Policy in the Prevention of Personal Health Record (PHR) Market Failure,” Journal of Information Technology and Politics, 9:2 (2012), 117-132.
- Baird, A., North, F., and T. S. Raghu, “Personal Health Records (PHRs) and the Future of the Physician-Patient Relationship,” iConference, 2011, Seattle, Washington.
- Baird, A., Furukawa, M., and T. S. Raghu, “Adoption of Patient-Centric Information Systems by Ambulatory Care Providers,” Workshop on Health IT and Economics (WHITE), 2010, Washington, D.C.
- Baird, A. and T. S. Raghu, “Are EMR and Clinical Analytics Systems Impacting Hospital Quality and Efficiency?” Claremont Graduate University Spring Health Informatics Workshop, 2010, Claremont, California.