- Ph.D., Arizona State University
- MBA, University of South Florida
- B.A., Missouri State University
- organizational culture
- organizational climate
- team processes
Dr. Hartnell’s research focuses on leadership and organizational culture, how they interrelate, and the intervening mechanisms through which they influence organizational, unit, and individual effectiveness.
- Maurer, T. J., Hartnell, C. A., & Lippstreu, M. (in press). A model of leadership motivations, error management culture, leadership capacity, and career success. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Hartnell, C. A., & Misati, E. (2017). A process model for fostering group learning in organizations: The role of ethical leadership, group ethical conduct, and collective fairness. Journal of Business Research, 72, 14-23.
- Hartnell, C. A., Kinicki, A. J., Lambert, L. S., Fugate, M., & Corner, P. (2016). Do similarities or differences between CEO leadership and organizational culture have a more positive effect on firm performance? A test of competing predictions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101, 846-861.
- Aryee, S., Walumbwa, F. O., Gachunga, H., & Hartnell, C. A. (2016). Promoting mutual gain: Workplace family resources, work engagement, and service performance. Africa Journal of Management.
- Aryee, S., Walumbwa, F. O., Zhou, Q., & Hartnell, C. A. (2012). Transformational leadership, innovative behavior and task performance: Test of mediation and moderation processes. Human Performance, 25, 1-25.
- Hartnell, C. A., Ou, A. Y., & Kinicki, A. (2011). Organizational culture and organizational effectiveness: A meta-analytic investigation of the competing values framework’s theoretical suppositions. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 677-694.
- Walumbwa, F. O., & Hartnell, C. A. (2011). Understanding transformational leadership-employee performance links: The role of relational identification and self-efficacy. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 84, 153-172.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Peterson, S. J., Avolio, B. J., & Hartnell, C. A. (2010). An investigation of the relationships among leader and follower psychological capital, service climate, and job performance. Personnel Psychology, 63, 937-963.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Hartnell, C. A., & Oke, A. (2010). Servant leadership, procedural justice climate, service climate, employee attitudes, and organizational citizenship behavior: A cross-level investigation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95, 517-529.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Cropanzano, R., & Hartnell, C. A. (2009). Organizational justice, voluntary learning behavior, and job performance: A test of the mediating effects of identification and leader-member exchange. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30, 1103-1126.
Print: Harvard Business Review, Wall Street Journal, Talent Quarterly
Internet: Forbes, Financial Times, Atlanta Business Chronicle, British Psychological Society (BPS) Research Digest