Ph.D., in Economics, University of Chicago
A.B./B.S. in Economics and Biology, Stanford
George Zanjani is the holder of the AAMGA Distinguished Chair in Risk Management and Insurance and an associate professor in the Department of Risk Management & Insurance at the Robinson College of Business. Prior to joining the department, he served as an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (2000–2008) specializing in policy work relating to insurance issues in the broader financial system. During his tenure at the bank, he served on working groups formed by the Committee on the Global Financial System and the Presidential Working Group on Financial Markets. He also worked as an actuary at Fireman’s Fund Insurance Companies (1990–1994), focusing on commercial insurance pricing and heading the firm’s workers’ compensation actuarial unit in 1994. George’s published work includes insurance papers in the American Economic Review, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Risk and Insurance, and Management Science. George is an associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society and holds a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Chicago. He has served as president of the American Risk and Insurance Association (2012-2013) and as the president of the Risk Theory Society (2010-11).
- Zanjani, George. “Public versus Private Underwriting of Catastrophe Risk: Lessons from the California Earthquake Authority,” in Risking House and Home: Disasters, Cities, Public Policy, John M. Quigley and Larry A. Rosenthal (eds.), Berkeley: Berkeley Public Policy Press (2008).
- Zanjani, George. “Regulation, Capital, and the Evolution of Organizational Form in U.S. Life Insurance,” American Economic Review 97, pp. 973-983 (2007).
- Lakdawalla, Darius, and Zanjani, George. “Insurance, Self Protection, and the Economics of Terrorism,” (with Darius Lakdawalla), Journal of Public Economics 89, pp. 1891-1905 (2005).
- Lakdawalla, Darius, and Zanjani, George. “Terrorism Insurance Policy and the Public Good,” (with Darius Lakdawalla), St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary 18, pp. 463-469 (2004).
- Zanjani, George. “Pricing and Capital Allocation in Catastrophe Insurance,” Journal of Financial Economics 65, pp. 283-305 (2002).