- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- MBA, Seoul National University
- certificate, Harvard Business School
- decision support technology
- wireless telecommunications
- cellular phone TV standard
- digital multimedia broadcasting
- ubiquitous computing and commerce
Dr. J.P. Shim was professor of IS and Larry and Tonya Favreau Notable Scholar at Mississippi State University before joining GSU in 2011. He has published five books and 70 journal articles. Recently, his co-authored paper has been cited as top in SSCI citations, Elsevier citations, and downloads in decision support systems.
Dr. Shim served as program chair and track chair at numerous conferences. He is serving on the Wireless Telecommunication Symposium as program chair. He serves as program co-chair for 2013 AMCIS.
He has received professional awards, grants and distinctions, including NSF, Microsoft, U.S. Small Business Administration, and Japan Foundation. He is a frequent invited speaker (more than 300 times) at universities, research institutes, and companies in 30 countries. He has had interviews with CBS TV, Associated Press, and numerous media/press. He worked as a consultant for Booz-Allen, KIA Motors, and others.
- Ouyang, Y., A. Huet, J. P. Shim, and M. Hu, “Latent Clustering Models for Outlier Identification in Telecom Data,” Mobile Information Systems (Special Issue of Design, Dimensioning, and Optimization of 4G/5G Wireless Communication Network), November, 2016.
- French, A. and J. P. Shim, “The Digital Revolution: Internet of Things, 5G and Beyond,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Vol. 38, No. 40, 2016, pp. 840-850.
- Shim, J. P., J. Koh, S. Fister, and H. Seo, “Phonetic Analytics Technology and Big Data: Real-World Cases,” Communications of the ACM (CACM), Vol. 59, No. 2, 2016, pp. 84-90.
- Shim, J. P., A. French, J. Guo, and J. Jablonski, “Big Data and Analytics: Issues, Solutions, and ROI,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 37, Article 29, October, 2015, pp. 797-810.
- Shim, J. P., R. Pearson, K. Marett, and C. Moore, “Stretching from Punch Card/Programming to Business Data Processing (BDP) to Business Information Systems (BIS),” Special Issue on IS History, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 36, No. 28. 2015, pp. 583-591.
- French, A., J. Guo, and J. P. Shim, “Current Status, Issues, and Future of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD),” Communications
of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 35, Article 10, November, 2014, pp. 191-197.
- French, A. and J. P. Shim, “Influence of American Institutions on Information Systems Research within Asia,”
Pacific Asia Journal of AIS, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2012, pp. 43-59.
- French, A. and J. P. Shim, “Multinational Diversity in IS Research: The Effects of Education on Publication Outlets,”
Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2011, pp. 313-322.
- Kim, J., J. P. Shim, and K. Ahn, “Social Networking Service: Motivation, Pleasure, and Behavioral Intention to Use,”
Journal of Computer Information Systems, Summer 2011, pp.92-101.
- Luo, R., H. Li, J. Zhang, and J. P. Shim, “Examining Multi-dimensional Trust and Multi-faceted Risk in Initial Acceptance of
Emerging Technologies: An Empirical Study of Mobile Banking Services,” Decision Support Systems, Vol. 49, 2010, pp. 222-
- Otondo, R., A. Pearson, R. Pearson, J. Shaw, and J. P. Shim, “Managerial Problem-Solving in the Adoption of Radio
Frequency Identification Technologies,” European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 18, 2009, pp. 553-569.
- Powell, S. and J. P. Shim, Wireless Technology: Applications, Management, and Security, Springer-Verlag Publishing