Ph.D., University of Alabama
B.B.A., University of Georgia
Commercial real estate
Real estate development
Sustainable real estate
Professor Wiley teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on Real Estate Development and Real Estate Finance and Mortgage Banking at Georgia State University. Professor Wiley has published a number of articles on commercial real estate, investment, valuation, development, brokerage, and sustainable real estate. Many of these publications appear in leading academic real estate journals including Real Estate Economics, Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics and Journal of Real Estate Research. Professor Wiley has presented his research at the annual meetings of premier industry organizations including the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, the American Real Estate Society, and the Financial Management Association.
Prior to joining the faculty at Georgia State University, Professor Wiley held faculty positions at Clemson University and the College of Charleston. In Charleston, he also served as director of the Carter Real Estate Center. In addition, Professor Wiley has served as a consultant to real estate developers and investors on numerous projects throughout the region.
- Wiley, J.A., 2017, “Dividend Manipulation at Unlisted REITs,” Real Estate Economics, forthcoming.
- Seagraves, P., Wiley, J.A., 2016, “The Cap Rate Spread: A New Metric for Commercial Underwriting,” Real Estate Economics, Vol. 44, Issue 2, 490–520.
- Liu, Y., Gallimore, P., Wiley, J.A., 2015, “Nonlocal Office Investors: Anchored by their Markets and Impaired by their Distance,” Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 50, Issue 1, 129–149.
- Wiley, J.A., 2014, “Gross Lease Premiums,” Real Estate Economics, Vol. 42, Issue 3, 606–626.
- Wiley, J.A., 2014, “Illiquidity Risk in Non-Listed Funds: Evidence from REIT Fund Exits and Redemption Suspensions,” Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 49, Issue 2, 205–236.
- Soyeh, K.W., Wiley, J.A., Johnson, K.H., 2014, “Do Buyer Incentives Work for Houses during a Real Estate Downturn?” Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 48, Issue 2, 380–396.
- Wiley, J.A., Benefield, J.D., Allen, M.T., 2014, “Cyclical Determinants of Brokerage Commission Rates,” Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 48, Issue 1, 196–219.
- Chinloy, P., Das, P., Wiley, J.A., 2014, “Houses and Apartments: Similar Assets, Different Financials,” Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 36, Issue 4, 409–433.
- Wiley, J.A., Liu, Y., Kim, D., Springer, T., 2014, “The Commercial Office Market and the Markup for Full Service Leases,” Journal of Real Estate Research, Vol. 36, Issue 3, 319–340.
- Das, P., Wiley, J.A., 2014, “Determinants of Premia for Energy-Efficient Design in the Office Market,” Journal of Property Research, Vol. 31, Issue 1, 64–86.