- Ph.D., information systems, University of Texas at Arlington
- M.S., computer science, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- B.S., business administration, Samford University
- project management
- program management
- IT management
- systems development
Kurt Schmitz’s research interests involve adaptation and change in the area of IT project management and the IT technologies produced by those projects. He is certified by the Project Management Institute as a program management professional (PgMP) with extensive industry experience having served in multiple global IT leadership roles in large enterprises including industrial automation in the 1980s, networking and eCommerce in the 1990s, and life sciences in the 2000s.
As an instructor Kurt emphasizes hands-on experiences with technology, including MS Project, Excel, Tableau and R. His classes use tools such as Datacamp.com and RStudio.
His teaching profile includes:
- Introduction to Information Systems (CIS 2010, Georgia State University)
- IT Project Management (CIS 3001, Georgia State University)
- IT Project/Program/Portfolio Management (CIS 8000, Georgia State University)
- Introduction to Data Processing (INSY2303, University of Texas at Arlington)
- Managing IT Technology (INSY4325, University of Texas at Arlington)
- Schmitz, K. W., Teng, J. T.C., & Webb, K. J. (2016). “Capturing the Complexity of Malleable IT Use: Adaptive Structuration Theory for Individuals.” MIS Quarterly, (40:3).
- Schmitz, K., Mahapatra, R., & Nerur, S. “Locus of Fluctuations: an Examination of Project Disruptions.” 10th International Research Workshop on IT Project Management (IRWITPM), (18). Fort Worth, USA.
- Schmitz, K. (2014). “Boundary Spanning and the Differentiated Effects of IS Project Deviations.” Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2014. Savannah, GA, USA.
- Kurt Schmitz, Kimberly Webb & James T.C. Teng. “Exploring Technology and Task Adaptation Among Individual Users of Mobile Technology.” ICIS 2010 Proceedings. Paper 57.
- Diaz, A.; Kaltofen, E.; Schmitz, K.; Valente, T., “DSC: A system for distributed symbolic computation.” ISSAC ’91 Proceedings of the 1991 International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, ACM Press, Pages 323-332.