Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
M.A., Western Kentucky University
LL.B., Foreign Affairs College
Cross-cultural negotiations and conflict
Comparative organizational behavior
Leigh Anne studies the roles of culture and cognition in negotiation, conflict management, collaboration, teams, and relationships in multicultural settings. Her research has appeared in Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, and Management and Organization Review, among other outlets. She has been a visiting professor at Toulouse Business School in France, Peking University, and Nanjing University in China. She has consulted for Fortune 500 companies and the nonprofit sectors on conflict management and multicultural competency programs. Professor Liu has taught courses and workshops for undergraduate, MBA, MIB, Ph.D., and executive students on topics of international negotiation, multicultural competency, global management, and cross-cultural behavior.
- Liu, W., Liu, L.A. & Zhang, J-D. How to dissolve fixed-pie bias in negotiation? Social antecedents and the mediating effect of mental model adjustment. Forthcoming at Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Liu, L.A., Adair, W.L., & Bello, D.C. 2015. Fit, misfit, and beyond fit: Relational metaphors and semantic fit in international joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 46(7): 830-849.
- Zhang, J-D. Liu, L.A. & Liu, W. 2015. Trust and deception in negotiation: Culturally divergent effects. Management and Organization Review, 11(1), 123-144.
- Liu, L.A., Inlow, L.B., & Feng, J.B. 2014. Institutionalizing sustainable conflict management in organizations: Leaders, networks, and sensemaking. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 32(2), 155-176.
- Liu, L.A. 2014. Addressing reviewer comments as an integrative negotiation. Management and Organization Review, 10(2), 183-190. (Editorial)
- Liu, L.A., Ma, L., Chua, C-H., Zhang, Z-X, & Barzantny, C. 2013. The confluence of cultural richness and global identity in intracultural and intercultural negotiations. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Liu, L.A., Friedman, R.A., Barry, B., Gelfand, M.J., & Zhang, Z-X. 2012. The dynamics of consensus building in intracultural and intercultural negotiations. Administrative Science Quarterly, 57(2), 269-304.
- Adair, W.L. & Liu, L.A. 2011. Building shared mental models in multicultural multiparty negotiations: The dynamic process. Research on Managing Groups and Teams, 14, 57-78.
- Danis, W., Liu, L.A., & Vacek, J. 2011. Values and upward influence strategies in transition: Evidence from the Czech Republic. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 42(2), 288-306.
- Liu, L.A., Chua, C.H., & Stahl, G. 2010. Quality of communication experience: Definition, measurement, and implications for intercultural negotiations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(3), 469-487.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R.A., Liu, L.A., & McLean Parks, J. 2007. Racial differences in sensitivity to behavioral integrity: Attitudinal consequences, in-group effects, and “trickle down” among Black and Non-Black Employees. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(3), 650-665.
Selected for Academy of Management Perspectives, Research Brief, Nov 2007.
- Friedman, R.A., Chi, S-c., & Liu, L.A. 2006. An expectancy model of Chinese American differences in conflict avoiding. Journal of International Business Studies, 37(1), 76-91.
- Liu, L.A., Friedman, R.A., & Chi, S-c. 2005. “Ren Qing” versus the “Big 5”: The need for culturally sensitive measures of individual difference in negotiation. Management and Organization Review, 1(2), 225-247.
Bronze Medal for the Wiley-Blackwell Management and Organization Review Young Scholar Award.
- Cai, W. & Liu, L.A. 2010. Differences in willingness to express one’s opinion in U.S. and Chinese online consumer interactions. China Currents, Vol 9, No.2.
- Liu, L.A. 2010. Guidelines for negotiating in a multicultural world. In Inlow, L.B. (ed.) Mediating Workplace Conflict: Training Manual for the World Health Organization (WHO). Geneva, Switzerland.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R.A., Liu, L.A., & McLean Parks, J. 2008. The importance of behavioral integrity in a multicultural workplace. Cornell Hospitality Reports, Vol 8, No.17.
- Liu, L.A., Loch, K.D., & Bruce, D.C. 2014. Cultivating political wisdom like consiglieri in China and beyond. In J. Miles (ed.) New Directions in Management and Organization Theory (pp.339-352). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Liu, L.A. & Cai, W. 2013. Shared cognition and identity in negotiation. In M. Olekalns & W.L. Adair (Eds.) Handbook on Negotiation Research (pp. 75-102). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Qiu, J., Zhang, Z-X., & Liu, L.A. 2011. Cultural processes in teams: The development of team mental models in heterogeneous work teams. In A. K-y. Leung, C.Y. Chiu, & Y-y, Hong (Eds.) Cultural Processes: A Social Psychological Perspective (pp. 172-187). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Liu, L.A. & Dale, C. 2009. Using mental models to study cross-cultural interactions. In C. Nakata (ed.) Beyond Hofstede: Cultural Frameworks for Global Marketing and Management (pp. 222-244). Hampshire, England: Macmillan’s Palgrave.
- Zhang, Z-X., Chen, C. C., Liu, L.A., & Liu, X. F. 2008. Chinese traditions and Western theories: Sources of influence on business leaders in China. In C. C. Chen & Y. T. Lee (Eds.), Leadership and Management in China: Philosophies, Theories, and Practices (239-271). London: Cambridge University Press.