Ph.D., Georgia Tech
MA, Tulane University
BA, Tulane University
Top management team effectiveness
Managing innovation and change processes
Leading strategy execution
Creating value through entrepreneurship
Nate Bennett joined the faculty of the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University in the summer of 2012. He became the Associate Dean for Faculty and Research in the fall of 2014.
From 1999 to 2012, he served as the Catherine W. and Edwin A. Wahlen Professor of Management, as well as in a number of leadership roles, at Georgia Tech. Previous to his time at Georgia Tech, he served on the faculty at Louisiana State University.
He has published in many widely read resources for managers including the Harvard Business Review, Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek.com and Forbes.com. He is co-author of two books, Riding Shotgun: The Role of the COO and Your Career Game: How Game Theory Can Help You Achieve Your Professional Goals. Both are books published by Stanford University Press. Additionally, his research has been published in respected scholarly journals such as Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, and Journal of Applied Psychology.
Dr. Bennett has more than 20 years of experience designing and delivering high-impact leadership development programs. Current and past clients include Schneider Electric, The Coca-Cola Company, Delta Air Lines, McGladrey, GEICO, UnitedHealth Group, CHS, Lockheed-Martin, GE, St. Jude Medical, McKesson, Regions Bank, Rollins, and NCR. His current research interests involve power, leadership selection and development, top management team effectiveness, and leadership transitions.
Below is a sample list of Bennett’s recent publications.
- Bennett, N., & Lemoine, G.J. (2014). What VUCA Really Means for You. Harvard Business Review, January/February, 27.
- Bennett, N., Kessler, W., & McGinnis, L. (eds.) (2012). Manufacturing in a Complex Socio Technical System: Interdisciplinary and Collaborative Perspectives. Tennenbaum Institute Enterprise Systems Series, Volume 4. IOS Press.
- Bennett, N., & Miles. S. (2010). Your Career Game: How Game Theory Can Help You Achieve Your Professional Goals. Stanford University Press.
- Bennett, N., & Miles, S. (2006). Riding Shotgun: The Role of the COO. Stanford University Press.
- Miles, S.A. & Bennett, N. (2008). Rebuilding the Top Management Team After Merger or Acquisition. Sloan Management Review. 50, (1), 60-64.
- Bennett, N. (2007). Munchausen at work. Harvard Business Review, 85, (11): 24-25.
- Bennett, N., & Miles, S. (2006). What makes a great COO or second in command: The misunderstood role of the chief operating officer. Harvard Business Review, 84 (5): 70-79.