- Ph.D., University of South Carolina
- B.A., Auburn University
- perceptual biases
- corporate social responsibility
- consumer welfare and consumer protection
Ellen’s interests include how marketing messages bias consumers’ beliefs, attitudes and behavior. In particular, she is interested in how consumer policies, persuasive messages, marketing claims and labels affect consumers’ beliefs, attitudes and behavior particularly in areas related to public policy and social issues. She’s studied these issues as they relate to food and pharmaceutical labeling, privacy, pricing, environmental sustainability, corporate social responsibility and retirement planning. Her research has been published in journals such as the Journal of Advertising, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Journal of Retailing and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
Dr. Ellen is past president of the American Marketing Association’s Academic Division, serves on four Editorial Review Boards, and has served on the planning board for the Marketing and Public Policy Conference for over 15 years.
- Weaver, Stephen T., Pam Scholder Ellen, and Lars Mathiassen (in press), “Contextualist Inquiry into Organizational Citizenship: Promoting Recycling Across Heterogeneous Organizational Actors,” Journal of Business Ethics.
- Ferguson, Jodie L., Pam Scholder Ellen, and William O. Bearden (2014), “Procedural and Distributive Fairness: Determinants of Overall Price Fairness,” Journal of Business Ethics, 121 (2), 217-231.
- Ferguson, Jodie L. and Pam Scholder Ellen (2013), “Transparency in Pricing and Its Effects on Perceived Price Fairness,” Journal of Product & Brand Management, 22 (5/6), 404-412.
- Poddar, Amit, Jeff Foreman, Syagnik Banerjee, and Pam Scholder Ellen (2012), “Exploring the Robin Hood Effect: Moral Profiteering Motives for Purchasing Counterfeit Products,” Journal of Business Research, 65 (10), 1500-1506.
- Ellen, Pam Scholder, Joshua L. Wiener, and M. Paula Fitzgerald (2012), “Encouraging Individuals to Save for Their Future: Augmenting Current Efforts with Positive Visions of the Future,” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 31 (Spring), 58-72.
- Ferguson, Jodie L., Pam Scholder Ellen and Maria Gabriela Piscopo (2011), “Judging Fairness of Price Increases Following a Disaster,” Journal of Business Ethics, 98(2), 331-349.