- Ph.D., University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign
- MBA, Bradley University
- B.S., Bradley University
- strategic management
- strategy formulation and change
- managerial cognition
Professor Barr is a professor and chair of the Department of Managerial Sciences at the Robinson College of Business. Her research interests center on the role of managerial and organizational cognition in strategy formulation and change. Her research appears in several leading journals including Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Business Research and Journal of Management Studies, and has been reprinted in a number of anthologies. Her work has received multiple awards including the Dan and Mary Lou Schendel Best Paper Prize and the Idea Thought Leader Award. She is also co-author of a book, A Cognitively Anchored Theory of Strategic Change, which was a 2001 George R. Terry Book Award finalist.
Dr. Barr is an associate editor of the Strategic Management Journal and is a member of the editorial boards of Academy of Management Journal and Academy of Management Discoveries. She is a member of the board of directors of the Strategic Management Society and a past member of the board of governors of the Academy of Management. She teaches master’s and Ph.D.-level courses in strategic management and strategy formulation.
- Kiss, Andreea and P. Barr (2015) “New Venture Strategic Adaptation: The Interplay of Belief Structures and Industry Context,” Strategic Management Journal.
- Kiss, Andreea and P. Barr (2014) “New Product Development Strategy Implementation Time and New Venture Performance: A Contingency Based Perspective.” Accepted, Journal of Management.
- Marcel, J., Barr, P. and I. Duhaime (2011) “The Influence of Executive Cognition on Competitive Dynamics,” Strategic Management Journal, pp 115-138.
- Gregoire, D., P. Barr and D. Shepherd (2010) “Cognitive Processes of Opportunity Recognition: The Role of Structural Alignment,” Organization Science, pp 413-431.
- Nadkarni, S. and P. Barr (2008) “Environmental Context, Managerial Cognition, and Strategic Action: An Integrated View,” Strategic Management Journal, pp 1395-1428.
- Elsbach, K., Barr, P.S. and A. Hargadon, “Identifying Situated Cognition in Organizations,” Organization Science, (2005) pp 422-433.
- Barr, P.S. and M.A. Glynn, “Cultural Variations in Strategic Issue Interpretation: Relating Cultural Uncertainty Avoidance to Controllability in Discriminating Threat and Opportunity.” Strategic Management Journal (2004) pp 59-68.