Ph.D., Economics, University of Michigan
M.A., Economics, University of Michigan
B.A., Chinese Studies, University of Denver
International business environments
International trade & investment
Growth & emerging markets
China & East Asia
Dr. Prime is professor of international business at the Institute of International Business, J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University. Her teaching and research focus on development of emerging markets, with a particular emphasis on China’s economy and business environment. Her most recent books are Global Giant: Is China Changing the Rules of the Game? (co-edited with Eva Paus and Jon Western, Palgrave McMillan, 2009) and Taiwan’s Democracy: Economic and Political Challenges, (co-edited with Robert Ash and John W. Garver, Routledge, 2011).
Dr. Prime’s experience includes directing study abroad programs, taking over 300 students to China; conducting field research in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong; traveling across most of China and living in Nanjing and Beijing for extended periods of time; analyzing China’s economy for the Center for International Research at the U.S. Bureau of the Census from 1991-1998; and working with companies on China strategy, business environment, negotiations and cultural understanding.
Dr. Prime is also the founder and director of the China Research Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to research and education about contemporary China. Before joining the GSU faculty, Dr. Prime taught at Mercer University, Kennesaw State University, and Carleton College.
- Qi, Li and Prime, Penelope B., “Determinants of Leverage: Further Evidence from China,” Chinese Economy, forthcoming.
- Prime, Penelope B., “Utilizing FDI to Stay Ahead: The Case of Singapore,” Studies in Comparative International Development 47.2 (2012),139-160.
- Prime, Penelope B.; Subrahmanyam, Vijaya and Lin, Chen Miao, “Competitiveness in India and China: The FDI Puzzle,” Asia Pacific Business Review, 18.3 (2012), 303-333.
- Gao, Hongmei and Prime, Penelope B., “Facilitators and Obstacles of Intercultural Business Communication for American Companies in China: Lessons Learned from the UPS Case,” Global Business Languages: Vol. 15 (2010), Article 10. Available at: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/gbl/vol15/iss1/10
- Paus, Eva; Prime, Penelope B.; Western, Jon, Ed. Global Giant: Is China Changing the Rules of the Game? Palgrave Macmillan, 2009. ISBN 978-0-230-61589-2