- Ph.D., National University of Singapore
- B.A., Wuhan University, China
- corporate strategy
- international business
- emerging economies
- family business
Dr. Qian (Cecilia) Gu is an assistant professor in the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University. Her research interests lie at the intersection of strategic management and international business. In particular, Dr. Gu is interested in understanding how firms’ social relationships in emerging country context affect their strategic decision and performance. Her works have been published in the Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, and Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. Dr. Gu has taught courses for undergraduates, MBA and master of International Business on topics of corporate strategy, international business environment and family business. She also serves as the editorial boards of Journal of Business Research and Management and Organization Review. Dr. Gu was a recipient of the GSU IIB Professor of the Year Award, SMS Best Reviewer Award, IACMR Li Ning Dissertation Proposal Award and China’s National Scholarship for Excellent International Student. She was a runner-up for the AOM Douglas Nigh Award, the AIB Best Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Award, and the IACMR Best Conference Macro Paper Award.
- Gu, Q., Lu, W.Z., & Zhong, C-N. Forthcoming. Incentive or disincentive? A socioemotional wealth explanation of new industry entry in family business groups. Journal of Management.
- Dean, X., Lu, W.Z. & Gu, Q. 2014. Organizational forms and multi-population dynamics: Economic transition in China. Administrative Science Quarterly, 59(3): 517-547.
Republished in Management Insights in 2016 (a Chinese-English bilingual publication that converts leading academic research on China-related topic into summaries that can be easily read and used by managers).
- Gu, Q. & Lu, X.H. 2014. Unraveling the mechanisms of reputation and alliance formation: A study of venture capital syndication in China. Strategic Management Journal, 35:739-750.
- Gu, Q. & Lu, L-H. 2013. Exploring the performance implication of multi-agency problems among public family businesses. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Gu, Q. & Lu, W.Z. (equal contribution) 2011. Effects of inward investment on outward investment: Venture capital industry worldwide 1985-2007. Journal of International Business Studies, 42(2): 263-284.
- Gu, Q. & Lu, W.Z. 2009. The linkage between inward investment and outward investment in the venture capital industry. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.