Ph.D., Marketing, University of Texas, Austin
Master's in Industrial Management, Indian Institute of Technology
Bachelor's in Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology
New products management
Customer relationship management
V. Kumar (VK) is the Regents Professor; Lenny Distinguished Chair Professor of Marketing; executive director, Center for Excellence in Brand & Customer Management; and director, Ph.D. program in Marketing at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University. He has been recognized with seven lifetime achievement awards in marketing strategy, inter-organizational issues, retailing, business to business marketing, and marketing research from the AMA and other professional organizations, the Paul D Converse Award, the Sheth Foundation/ Journal of Marketing Long term Impact Award, and the Gary L Lilien ISMS-MSI Practice Prize Award.
VK has published over 200 articles in many scholarly journals in marketing including the Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science, Management Science and Operations Research. His books include Managing Customers for Profit, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Customer Lifetime Value, Marketing Research, Statistical Methods in CRM and International Marketing Research. He has won several awards for his research publications in scholarly journals including the Don Lehmann Award thrice for the best paper published in the Journal of Marketing/Journal of Marketing Research in a 2-year period, the MSI/Paul H Root Award thrice for the Journal of Marketing articles contributing to the best practice of marketing, the Robert Buzzell Award for the best paper published by the Marketing Science Institute, the Davidson Award for the best paper published in the Journal of Retailing, the Outstanding Paper Award for the best paper published in Forecasting from the International Institute of Forecasters, and the Best Runner-Up Award for the paper published in the Journal of Interactive Marketing. VK was also awarded the Sheth Foundation Best Paper Award for his paper published in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
VK leads the marketing science to marketing practice initiative at the INFORMS Society for Marketing Science and has worked with Global Fortune 1000 firms to maximize their profits. He also serves as the AE and serves on the editorial review board of many scholarly journals in Marketing. VK spends his “free” time visiting business leaders to identify challenging problems to solve. He plays tennis and basketball to relieve his stress arising out of being in academics. Finally, VK has been chosen as a Legend in Marketing along with Phil Kotler, Paul Green and Jag Sheth where Dr. Kumar’s work is published in a 10-volume encyclopedia with commentaries from scholars worldwide.
- Kumar, V., A. Petersen and R. P. Leone, “Quantifying the Value of Business References,” forthcoming, Journal of Marketing.
- Denish Shah and V. Kumar, “The dark side of cross selling,” forthcoming, Harvard Business Review.
- Luo, Anita and V. Kumar, “Recovering Hidden Buyer-Seller Relationship States to Measure the ROMI in B2B Markets,” forthcoming, Journal of Marketing Research.
- Kumar, V., Vikram Bhaskaran, Rohan Mirchandani, and Milap Shah, “Creating a Measurable Social Media Marketing Strategy for Hokey Pokey: Increasing the Value and ROI of Intangibles & Tangibles,” forthcoming, Marketing Science. (Winner of the 2011-12 Gary L. Lilien ISMS- MSI Practice Prize for outstanding marketing science work that has had significant organizational impact)
- Pancras, Joseph, S. Sriram, and V. Kumar (2012), “Empirical Investigation of Retail Expansion and Cannibalization in a Dynamic Environment,” June, pp1-18, Management Science.