Department of Risk Management & Insurance
The Riskies Awards, traditionally held as an in-person event, will take place this year through a series on online publications. While the format is different, the spirit and tradition of honoring outstanding members and students of the risk management community remains.
The Georgia State University Risk Management Foundation will announce the 2021 Riskies Awards winners on March 11, 2021 and will promote the awardees’ achievements and our sponsor’s generosity through the Department of Risk Management and Insurance’s website, newsletters, and social media channels.
Awards and Nomination Process
The Riskies Awards recognizes active or retired business executives who have demonstrated a career of high achievement and service to the insurance, risk management or related industry and whose achievements and service align with the vision of the Robinson College Department of Risk Management & Insurance. Recipients are selected by the Riskies Hall of Fame committee, which is comprised of emeritus faculty and GSU Risk Management Foundation Board of Trustee members.
We’re pleased to announce that Steve and Lee Ann DeCarlo of AmWINS Group, Inc. are the 2021 Riskies Icon Leadership Awardees.
The Foundation is accepting nominations for the following awards. Email completed nomination forms to Leslie Harrington at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 11, 2021.
- Career Achievement Award
- Rising Champion Award
- Innovator Award
- Hall of Fame Award
- Corporate Award
The Riskies recognize active or retired business executives who have demonstrated a career of high achievement and service to the insurance, risk management or related industry.
These achievements and service align with the vision of the Department of Risk Management & Insurance in the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University. Recipients are selected by the Riskies Hall of Fame committee, which comprises emeritus faculty and Risk Management Foundation Board of Trustee members.
2021 Riskies Student Support Fund
As a means of assisting our students during this unpredictable and challenging time, we are directing 2021 Riskies Awards sponsorships to the 2021 Riskies Student Support Fund. The pandemic acutely affects students at GSU financially because of loss of employment, lack of household resources, and childcare and caregiver responsibilities. This fund aims to remove the obstacles that may prevent our student’s ability to stay in school and provides support for scholarships, actuarial exam preparation courses, passed actuarial exam reimbursement, and assistance for student activities and the Gamma Iota Sigma and Actuarial Student Associations.
2020 Riskies Awardees
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr. Harold D. Skipper, Professor Emeritus, Georgia State University
- Icon Leadership – Frank Kinnett, Epic Insurance Brokers & Consultants
- Career Achievement Award – Bill Pieroni, ACORD
- Rising Champion Award – Eric Atwater, Aon
- Corporate Award – Atlanta RIMS
- Innovator Award – Phillip Naples, Layr
- Georgia State University Risk Management and Insurance Hall of Fame –
- Bruce Connell, Markel
- Bart Miller, Sterling Seacrest Partners
- Dr. Ellen Thrower, St. John’s University, Retired
- George Napoles ll, Jackson National Life, Retired
- Student Awardees – Changa Masaninga, Quantitative Risk Analysis and Management
- Student Awardees – Chloe Anais Ouedraogo, Bachelor Actuarial Science
- Student Awardees – Yingying Li, Master of Actuarial Science
- Student Awardees – Sharae Bey, Risk Management and Insurance
Locke Lord with Brian Casey
Merlinos & Associates
The Plexus Groupe
Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta
Georgia State Department of Risk Management and Insurance
Locke Lord with Brian Casey
McKesson Corp with Jane Sandler
Peachtree Special Risk Brokers with Elizabeth White
Strategic Risk Solutions
Sterling – James
New York Life Insurance
Bridger Insurance with Adam Litke
Ringler Insurance with Bill Wright