GSU's Online Certificate in Project Management program is designed and taught by Richard H. Deane, PMP, PMI-ACP, PE, Ph.D., a world-class project management professor and practitioner with over 30 years of project management teaching and consulting experience. Dr. Deane is one of the most highly rated professors teaching in Georgia State University’s executive education programs and offers real-world project management wisdom based on his practical experience leading small and large-scale projects as a consultant, both nationally and internationally.
- Initiate a project by identifying project objectives and requirements
- Draft a concise project charter
- Employ a structured process for identifying and managing project stakeholders
- Organize the project via a project work breakdown structure
- Lead a team in identifying activity relationships and develop a project network diagram
- Estimate activity durations and generate a project schedule
- Identify and Interpret the project critical path
- Strategically balance project duration, cost, and scope objectives
- Develop a project resource plan and budget
- Monitor and control the progress of a project during execution
- Develop and implement a project risk management plan
- Master the unique leadership and conflict resolution skills required to lead a project team
- Develop lessons learned from a completed project
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who want to obtain an instant immersion into the project management field
- Individuals interested in developing a better understanding of how project management methodologies can improve project success—whether the projects are large or small
- Functional managers and team members in IT, Operations, Finance, Quality, Engineering, etc. who must work on integrated project teams
- Individuals who are responsible for managing multiple small projects that are undertaken simultaneously and changing on a regular basis
- Practicing project managers who want to take their skills to a higher level
- Managers and directors who want to effectively implement innovation initiatives
- Senior managers with oversight responsibilities for multiple projects
To Pay by Check / Discounts
To pay by check or to confirm discount eligibility and obtain the appropriate code, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Executive Education Center at 404-413-7300. Please note: Discount and promotion codes cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and must be entered at the time of registration. Discounts cannot be applied retroactively.
If you are out of work or under-employed, you may apply for funds from Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act. Ask us how!
Synchronous distance learning, combined with self-paced modules/assignments
Do the hours you offer in your online certificate course count towards the 35 PDU hours the PMI require to sit for the PMP exam?
This online course provides the 35 hours of project management education required to take the PMP exam.
What is the difference between the Online Project Management Certificate Program and a PMP exam prep course?
This GSU course is directed toward developing your project management skills and only indirectly toward passing the PMP exam. In a PMP prep course, participants would review hundreds of sample multiple choice questions. A true PMP prep course simply teaches participants how to pass the exam, not necessarily how to be an effective project manager. To view our PMP prep course, go here.
How is the Online Robinson Project Management Certificate Program different than other universities’ programs?
Our instructor has over 35 years of experience in the practical application of the structured project management methodology. Our course emphasizes the practical application of project management principles to projects. This online program addresses both the project management technical issues such as computing a project schedule as well as the behavioral issues such as project team interrelationships. Matriculation through the program is efficient and speedy, so participants can immediately apply their new skills and knowledge.
If I’m changing careers and am new to the field, is this class a good introduction to project management? Does it cover foundational concepts or is it only for those who have experience in the field and looking to obtain their PMP Certification?
This GSU Online Certificate is directed toward developing your project management skills and only indirectly toward passing the PMP exam. We focus on numerous exercises, simulations, and cases in order to put you in practical project management scenarios in which project team decisions must be made, project schedules and budgets must be generated, project risks must be evaluated, difficult team members must be managed, complex and conflicting stakeholder relationships must be resolved, corrective actions must be taken during project execution, and clear actions must be implemented. This GSU online certificate program is, in fact, perfect for someone who wants to obtain an instant immersion into the project management field.
Richard H. Deane, PMP, PMI-ACP, PE, Ph.D.
Dr. Deane is Professor Emeritus in the Department of Managerial Sciences at the Robinson College of Business. His main interest is in the practical application of project management principles. Richard consults for organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Acuity Brands, General Electric, Boys and Girls Clubs, ING, Caterpillar, and various public and private health organizations. He has won multiple teaching awards at Purdue University, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State. Richard is also a registered professional engineer, a certified Project Management Professional (PMP), and holds the PMI-ACP certification by Project Management Institute.