Diverse majors with hard-to-find concentrations
- business process innovation
- information systems
- international business specialization
- organizational behavior & human resources
- real estate
- risk management & insurance
- Students play an active role in the design of the program of study during the coursework phase of the program.
- Students take 15 hours of research methods courses, 18 hours of discipline-specific coursework within their major, and nine hours are dedicated to a secondary area of interest.
Research is the main component of the PhD program. Students are mentored by highly research productive faculty and are strongly encouraged to publish in scholarly journals and present research papers at national and regional conferences. Students are also encouraged to attend Robinson’s Research Workshops. Robinson's PhD program aims to graduate individuals who are sought after for faculty positions in research-oriented universities.
After working in the marketing research industry for a number of years, I realized that I wanted to move up the ladder faster. I was accepted into GSU for an MBA in 2011, in which I discovered the career path to conduct marketing research that’s at the highest level. Thanks to the department of marketing at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, specifically V. Kumar, I graduated with a PhD in Marketing, specializing in sales and sales management research, in 2018. I was hired at Iowa State University as an Assistant Professor in Marketing, to not only conduct research, but also help establish a sales program. My research can be found in the Journal of Marketing Research, the Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, and Harvard Business review. I have had the privilege to work with some of the greatest researchers in the world, namely V. Kumar, Nita Umashankar, and Denish Shah at the start of my career, adding colleagues from Iowa State University and across the nation to my working partners presently. The future is very bright and exciting, thanks to my education at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University.
5th-year student in marketing
Publications in top-tier journals such as Production and Operations Management; Journal of Business Research
- 2021 GSU Provost’s Dissertation Fellowship
- 2021 GSU PhD Research Award (George E. Manners Scholarship)
- 2021 GTA Teaching Excellence Award
- 2020 ISBM Doctoral Dissertation Award Competition Finalist
Recent placements include:
- Auburn University
- Baylor University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Iowa State University
- Lehigh University
- Michigan State University
- Pepperdine University
- Texas A&M
- Texas Christian University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Denver
- University of Leeds
- University of Ottawa
- Virginia Tech
Location, location, location
Both of our campuses are in the middle of Atlanta’s professional districts — an ideal location for the study of many business-related topics.
Most classes are held downtown. A few classes are offered in Buckhead.
Typically 5 years
Students typically receive tuition waivers and stipends to cover living expenses.
Downtown or Buckhead
Check with your coordinator.