With the change to electronic dissertation storage, students will not need to submit hard copies of the dissertation to the Ph.D. Program Office. Students can request binding from an external vendor.
Students must apply for graduation through the Office of Graduation. The deadline for applying for graduation is usually several months before the anticipated graduation date, so students need to apply in a timely manner. The associate director of the Ph.D. program will provide the candidate with information regarding clearance for graduation at the beginning of the term the candidate is scheduled to graduate.
If you plan to attend the ceremony, contact the Commencement Office for details about the hooding ceremony. There is no summer commencement.
- Students must be registered for at least six hours of research/dissertation hours (BA 9000 or BA 9500) within three semesters of graduation, which is a mandatory university requirement for graduation. Students also need to be registered for at least one hour of BA 9500 during the semester of the defense. Students also must be registered for the appropriate hours if receiving an assistantship during the last term of enrollment.
- Completion of Responsible Conduct in Research and CITI training.
- Provide the following information for the graduation program by the midpoint of the semester. Use the example below.
Your First Name, Last Name
B.S., 1998 Name of Institution
M.S., 2003 Name of Institution
Dissertation: Complete Title
Chair: Dr. First and Last Name
- Removal of all NR, I and IP grades three weeks prior to the end of the semester.
- Once the final oral examination is scheduled, send the Ph.D. program office the final template. The Ph.D. program office will confirm the final oral examination information with the dissertation chair and then send out an announcement to Robinson faculty and doctoral students. Final oral exams should be announced two weeks prior to the defense date.
- Students should defend, complete revisions, obtain final revision approval and upload the dissertation three weeks prior to the end of the semester. Students should speak with the dissertation committee to be sure enough time is allowed for the committee to review and approve dissertation revisions.
- The student or committee chair should bring the original Acceptance and Final Oral forms to the Ph.D. program office. The acceptance form should include a statement that all required revisions are complete and approved; or, this final approval from the chair can be emailed to the Ph.D. program office. Forms must be received three weeks prior to the end of the semester.
- Upload the dissertation to GSU’s ScholarWorks repository using these GSU upload instructions.
- Remember to add the required insert pages, embed your fonts (ex. Times, Arial) and convert your document to a PDF three weeks prior to the end of the semester. Upload the final version of your dissertation after revisions have been approved by your committee.
- The UMI upload is optional.
View the UMI upload instructions »
- Students who want to request an embargo (3-, 6-, 9- or 12-month period the dissertation cannot be reviewed by the public) must receive approval from the dissertation chair. An embargo approval email should be sent to the Ph.D. program office before the student uploads the dissertation.
- Complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates three weeks prior to the end of the semester. Provide the Ph.D. program office email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, on the notification screen or email the certificate of completion to email@example.com.
- Submit most recent CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you already have accepted employment, please provide your place of employment, title and email/mailing address to the Ph.D. program office at email@example.com.