- D.B.A., University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- MBA., University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- B.S., University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- Design and assessment of data analytic learning experiences
- Analysis of business data to solve organizational problems
- Audit and control of information systems
Borthick’s research focuses on the design, assessment and analysis of learning experiences for developing data analytic expertise for accounting and IT auditing. In her data analytic learning experiences, students analyze business data as if they were professionals on the job, developing analytic expertise to provide business insights in progressively more challenging problems. Her data analytic learning experiences have won many Best Paper and Best Case awards. Twice she has received the American Accounting Association Innovation in Accounting Education Award.
She is a certified information systems auditor, a certified management accountant, and a certified public accountant (inactive). Her master’s course in information systems assurance taught as collaborative discovery learning online won national and international awards. She has been the director of a campus-level center for teaching and learning with technology. In the School of Accountancy, she had been instrumental in assessing learning outcomes and infusing curricula with data analytics for accounting.
Borthick has been the senior editor of the Journal of Information Systems and is an editor of Issues in Accounting Education. She is the author of articles in Accounting, Organizations and Society, The Accounting Review, Journal of Information Systems, Decision Support Systems, and Issues in Accounting Education.
- Sargent, C. S. and A. F. Borthick. 2013. Evidence for insisting on cognitive conflict tasks: Impact on accounting majors in upper-level courses. Issues in Accounting Education 28(4): 759-777.
- Springer, C. W., Borthick, A. F., Lederberg, A. R., and R. Haardörfer. 2012-2013. A low-maintenance approach to improving retention: Short on-line tutorials in elementary statistics. Journal of College Student Retention 14(4): 549-566.
- Robb, D. A., Bowen, P. L., Borthick, A. F., and Rohde, F. H. 2012. Improving new users’ query performance: Deterring premature stopping of query revision with information for forming ex ante expectations. Journal of Data and Information Quality 3(4): Article 7.
- Borthick, A. F. 2012. Designing continuous auditing for a highly automated procure-to-pay process. Journal of Information Systems 26(2): 153-166.
- Boritz, J. E., A. F. Borthick, and A. Presslee. 2012. The effect of business process representation type on assessment of business and control risks: Diagrams versus narratives. Issues in Accounting Education 27(4): 895-915.
- Borthick, A. F., G. P. Schneider, and A. O. Vance. 2012. Using graphical representations of business processes in evaluating internal control. Issues in Accounting Education 27(1): 123-140.
- Sargent, C. S.. A. F. Borthick, and A. R. Lederberg. 2011. Improving retention for principles students: Ultra-short on-line tutorials for motivating effort and improving performance. Issues in Accounting Education 26(4): 657-679.
- Borthick, A. F., G. P. Schneider, and A. O. Vance. 2010. Preparing graphical representations of business processes and making inferences from them. Issues in Accounting Education 25(3): 569-582.
- Borthick, A. F., P. L. Bowen, and G. J. Gerard. 2008. Modeling a business process and querying the resulting database: Analyzing RFID data to develop business intelligence. Journal of Information Systems 22(2): 331-350.
- Borthick, A. F. and M. B. Curtis. 2008. Due diligence on fast-fashion inventory through data querying. Journal of Information Systems 22(1): 77-93. Received a University of Waterloo Symposium on Information Systems Assurance Case Competition Award, 2005.
- Borthick, A. F. and P. L. Bowen. 2008. Auditing system development: Constructing the meaning of "systematic and rational" in the context of legacy code migration for vendor incentives. Journal of Information Systems 22(1): 47-62. Received an American Accounting Association Information Systems Midyear Conference Best Paper Award, 2007.
- Borthick, A. F. and D. R. Jones. 2007. Creating a business process diagram and database queries to detect billing errors and analyze calling patterns for cell phone service. Journal of Information Systems 21(1): 102-122.
- Springer, C. W., and A. F. Borthick. 2007. Improving performance in accounting: Evidence for insisting on cognitive conflict tasks. Issues in Accounting Education 22(1): 1-19. Received the American Accounting Association Teaching and Curriculum Section 2007 Research in Accounting Education Award.
- Borthick, A. F., M. B. Curtis, and R. S. Sriram. 2006. Accelerating the acquisition of knowledge structure to improve performance in internal control reviews. Accounting, Organizations and Society 31: 323-342.