Aaron M. BairdFaculty Director and Associate Professor Institute of Health Administration
- Ph.D., information systems, Arizona State University
- MBA, Regis University
- B.S., computer science, Colorado Mesa University
- health analytics
- health IT and informatics
- information systems
Dr. Baird's research focuses primarily on health analytics, health IT, and information systems (IS).
His research contributes both to theory and practice and appears in journals such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, the Journal of Management Information Systems, the Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Health Care Management Review, Health Management Policy and Innovation, the Journal of Medical Internet Research, and JAMIA Open. He received the Early Career Award from the Association for Information Systems (AIS) in 2017 and Best Paper Awards Information & Organization and AIS in 2019. Industry collaborations include: CDC, Stand, Inc., WellStar Health System, Mayo Clinic, Pruitt Health, Island Health, and Grady Health System.
Dr. Baird has served as a board member for Arizona HIMSS, Georgia HIMSS, and is currently a Research Associate for the Center for Digital Innovation (CDIN) and the Institute for Insight.
- Baird, A., Cheng, Y., and Xia, Y. “Use of Machine Learning to Examine Disparities in Completion of Substance Use Disorder Treatment.” PLoS One, 2022 (17:9): e0275054.
- Choi, H., Keil, M., and Baird, A. “Intention to Use Smartwatch Health Applications: A Regulatory Fit and Locus of Control Perspective.” Information & Management, September 2022 (59:6), 1-40.
- Baird, A., Xia, Y., and Cheng, Y. “Consumer Perceptions of Telehealth for Mental Health or Substance Abuse: A Twitter-Based Topic Modeling Analysis.” JAMIA Open, July 2022 (5:2), 1-8.
- Baird, A., Cheng, Y, and Xia, Y. “Telehealth Adoption and Discontinuation by U.S. Hospitals: Results from 2 Quasi-Natural Experiments.” JMIR Formative Research, 2022 (6:2), e28979.
- Chen, L. Baird, A., and Straub, D. “The Impact of Hierarchical Privilege Levels and Non-Hierarchical Incentives on Continued Contribution in Online Q&A Communities: A Motivational Model of Gamification Goals.” Decision Support Systems, 2022 (153), 1-12.
- Baird, A. “On Writing Research Articles Well: A Guide for Writing IS Papers.” Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 2021 (22:5), 1197-1211. (One of the top most downloaded papers from JAIS for 2021.)
- Baird, A. and Maruping, L. “The Next Generation of Research on IS Use: A Theoretical Framework of Delegation to and from Agentic IS Artifacts.” MIS Quarterly, 2021 (45:1), pp. 315-341.
- Baird, A. “On Writing Research Articles Well: A Guide for Writing IS Papers.” Journal of the Association for Information Systems. 2021 (22:5), 1197-1211
- Singh, R., Baird, A., and Mathiassen, L. “Ambidextrous Governance of IT-enabled Services: A Pragmatic Approach.” Information & Organization, 2020 (30:4), 1-14.
- Baird, A., Angst, C., and Oborn, E., “Health Information Technology,” in MIS Quarterly Research Curations, Ashley Bush and Arun Rai, Eds., http://misq.org/research-curations, June 20, 2018; updated September 2020. doi: 10.25300/06212018.
- Baird, A., Kibbe, B., and Lesandrini, J. “Stakeholder Bias in Best Practice Advisories: An Ethical Perspective.” JAMIA Open. 2020 (3:2), 142-145.
- Baird, A., Sumner, A., and Xia, Y. “How U.S. Hospitals can Overcome Barriers to Automation of Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement (eCQM).” Health Management, Policy and Innovation, Spring 2020 (5:2), 1-14.
- Baird, A. and Olivera, W. “Health Information Sharing and Exclusion in the Age of COVID-19.” Health Management, Policy and Innovation, 2020 (5:1 Special issue on COVID-19), 1-12.
- Chen, L., Baird, A., and Straub, D. “A Linguistic Signaling Model of Social Support Exchange in Online Health Communities.” Decision Support Systems, 2020 (30), 1-12.
- Chen, L., Baird, A., and Rai, A. “Mobile Health (mHealth) Channel Preference: An Integrated Perspective of Approach-Avoidance Beliefs and Regulatory Focus.” Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2019 (20:12), 247-265.
- Chen, L., Baird, A., and Straub, D. “Fostering Participant Health Knowledge and Attitudes: An Econometric Study of a Chronic Disease-Focused Online Health Community.” Journal of Management Information Systems, 2019 (36:1), 194-229.