- Ph.D., Boston University
- M.B.A., Texas A&M University
- B.S., Cornell University
- organizational form and performance
- consumer coproduction
- service innovation
Dr. Lawrence is the Aziz Hashim endowed Professor in Franchise Entrepreneurship. Lawrence focuses on empirical work that helps inform hospitality practice on topics that intersect service operations and marketing. The goal of Lawrence’s research is to contribute in a meaningful way to theory building yet provide insight for hospitality practitioners in managing the distribution and consumption of their services. Lawrence’s broad domains of interest include franchise relationships, consumer coproduction, and service innovation. He has published research articles in leading business journals including Production and Operations Management, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Retailing, Industrial Marketing Management, Service Science and Journal of Business Ethics.
Prior to joining Georgia State University, he was on the faculty of Cornell University. He has won best paper awards from Service Science in 2015 and the International Society of Franchising in 2016. He currently serves as VP and Treasurer of the International Society of Franchising and VP of Programs for the POM College of Service Operations.
Publications: Refereed Scholarly Journal
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Jie J. Zhang, Liwu Hsu and Sarah Zheng (2021), Return on Investments in Hotel Franchising: Understanding Moderating Effects of Franchisee Dependence, Production and Operations Management (Accepted)
- Ludvigsson-Wallette, Martin and Benjamin Lawrence (2020), Expanding the Conceptual Domain of Governance in Franchising, Industrial Marketing Management 90:314-323.
- Liwu Hsu , Jie J. Zhang & Benjamin Lawrence (2020): The Moderating Role of Hotel Type on Advertising Expenditure Returns in Franchised Chains, Journal of Advertising, DOI:10.1080/00913367.2020.1809032
- Giebelhausen, Michael, Benjamin Lawrence, Helen Chun, Doing Good While Behaving Badly: Checkout Charity Process Mechanisms, Journal of Business Ethics, 2020.
- Massimino, Brett and Benjamin Lawrence (2019), Supersize me? Franchisee size and voluntary compliance with corporate brand‐building initiatives. Journal of Operations Management, 65:7, 659-684.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick J. Kaufmann (2019). Channel Members’ Relationships with the Brands they Sell and the Organizations that Own them. Industrial Marketing Management, 83, 148-161.
- Grünhagen, Marko, Rajiv P. Dant & Benjamin Lawrence (2018) An empirical assessment of the Consumer Agency Model: Evidence from India and China, Journal of Marketing Channels, 25:12, 85-99.
- Giebelhausen, Michael, Benjamin Lawrence, Helen Chun and Liwu Hsu (2017). The Warm Glow of Restaurant Checkout Charity, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly 58, 329-34 (Lead Article).
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Jie J. Zhang and Janelle Heineke (2016). A Life-cycle Perspective of Professionalism in Services. Journal of Operations Management 42-43, 25-38.
- Hsu, Liwu and Benjamin Lawrence (2016). The Role of Social Media and Brand Equity During a Product Recall Crisis: A Shareholder Value Perspective. International Journal of Research in Marketing 33:1, 59–77.
- Susskind, Alex, Mark A. Bonn, Benjamin Lawrence and H. Leslie Furr (2016). A Review of Regional Contrasts in Consumers’ Attitudes and Behavior Following the BP Oil Spill, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly 57, 66-81.
- Jie J. Zhang, Benjamin Lawrence and Chris K. Anderson (2015). An Agency Perspective on Service Triads: Linking Operational and Financial Performance. Journal of Operations Management 35, 56-66.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Rozenn Perrigot (2015). Organizational Form and Customer Satisfaction in Franchise Chains. Journal of Small Business Management S1, 58-74.
- Anderson, Chris K. and Benjamin Lawrence (2014). The Influence of Online Reputation and Product Heterogeneity on Service Firm Financial Performance. Service Science 6:4, 217-228.
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Susan Fournier and Frederic Brunel (2013). When Companies Don't Make the Ad: A Multi-Method Inquiry into the Differential Effectiveness of Consumer-Generated Advertising. Journal of Advertising, 42:4, 292-307.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick J. Kaufmann (2011). Identity in Franchise Systems: The Role of Franchisee Associations. Journal of Retailing, 87:3, 285–305
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick J. Kaufmann (2010). Franchisee Associations: Strategic Focus or Response to Franchisor Opportunism? Journal of Marketing Channels, 17:2,137-155.
Publications: Book Chapters and Reports
- Zhang, Jie and Benjamin Lawrence. (2019) How Can We Reinvent Business Education? Applying the Professional Service Life-Cycle Perspective to AI-Enabled Learning in Management and Business Education in the time of Artificial Intelligence, A. Stachowicz Stanusch, W. Amannby (eds.), Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC, USA.
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Cyril Pietrafesa and Patrick J. Kaufmann. Exploring the Growth of Multi Unit Franchising – A Practitioner Perspective, in Handbook of Research on Franchising, F. Hoy, R. Perrigot, A. Terry (eds), Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Susskind, Alex, Mark A. Bonn, Benjamin Lawrence (2015). How the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Damaged the Environment, the Travel Industry, and Corporate Reputations, Cornell Hotel School Center for Hospitality Report.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick Kaufmann (2015). Identity Tensions in Business Based Brand Relationships, in Better Brands, Better Relationships, S. Fournier, M. Breazeale, and J. Avery (eds.), London: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Peng Liu (2014). Insights on Hospitality, Retailing, and Commercial Real Estate: 2014 Cornell Retail Real Estate Roundtable Proceedings, Cornell Hotel School Center for Hospitality Report.
- Lawrence, Benjamin (2013). Proceedings: Emerging Trends in Restaurant Ownership and Management Roundtable, Cornell Hotel School Center for Hospitality Report.
- Batra, Rishtee, Benjamin Lawrence, Susan Fournier and Russ Winer (2008). Engaging Communities for the Company and the Brand, Conference Summary Marketing Science Institute Report, 8-301.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and C.B. Bhattacharya (2008). Stakeholder Marketing: Beyond the Four Ps and the Customer, Conference Summary Marketing Science Institute Report, 200.