- Ph.D., Boston University
- M.B.A., Texas A&M University
- B.S., Cornell University
- organizational form and performance
- consumer coproduction
- service innovation
Dr. Lawrence is the Aziz Hashim endowed Professor in Franchise Entrepreneurship. Lawrence focuses on topics that intersect service operations and marketing with a particular interest in franchise relationships. Lawrence’s broad domains of interest include the impact of organizational form on performance, consumer coproduction, and service innovation. He has published research articles in such journals as Industrial Marketing Management, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Retailing, Service Science and the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly.
Prior to joining Georgia State University, he was on the faculty at Cornell University where he was honored with the Hotel School Teacher of the Year Award for freshman core in 2013 and 2015. He has won best paper awards from Service Science in 2015 and the International Society of Franchising in 2016. He currently serves as VP and Treasurer of the International Society of Franchising and VP of Programs for the POM College of Service Operations.
- Giebelhausen, Michael, Benjamin Lawrence, Helen Chun and Liwu Hsu (2107).The Warm Glow of Restaurant Checkout Charity, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly 58, 329-34. (Lead Article).
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Jie J. Zhang and Janelle Heineke (2016). A Life-cycle Perspective of Professionalism in Services. Journal of Operations Management 42-43, 25-38.
- Hsu, Liwu and Benjamin Lawrence (2016). The Role of Social Media and Brand Equity During a Product Recall Crisis: A Shareholder Value Perspective. International Journal of Research in Marketing 33:1, 59–77.
- Susskind, Alex, Mark A. Bonn, Benjamin Lawrence and H. Leslie Furr (2016). A Review of Regional Contrasts in Consumers’ Attitudes and Behavior Following the BP Oil Spill, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly 57, 66-81.
- Jie J. Zhang, Benjamin Lawrence and Chris K. Anderson (2015). An Agency Perspective on Service Triads: Linking Operational and Financial Performance. Journal of Operations Management 35, 56-66.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Rozenn Perrigot (2015). Organizational Form and Customer Satisfaction in Franchise Chains. Journal of Small Business Management S1, 58-74.
- Anderson, Chris K. and Benjamin Lawrence (2014). The Influence of Online Reputation and Product Heterogeneity on Service Firm Financial Performance. Service Science 6:4, 217-228. (Winner of Service Science best article of 2014)
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Susan Fournier and Frederic Brunel (2013). When Companies Don’t Make the Ad: A Multi-Method Inquiry into the Differential Effectiveness of Consumer-Generated Advertising. Journal of Advertising, 42:4, 292-307. (Measures developed for this article in Volume 8 of the Marketing Scales Handbook)
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick J. Kaufmann (2011). Identity in Franchise Systems: The Role of Franchisee Associations. Journal of Retailing, 87:3, 285–305.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick J. Kaufmann (2010). Franchisee Associations: Strategic Focus or Response to Franchisor Opportunism? Journal of Marketing Channels, 17:2,137-155.
Book Chapters and Reports
- Lawrence, Benjamin, Cyril Pietrafesa and Patrick J. Kaufmann. Exploring the Growth of MultiUnit Franchising – A Practitioner Perspective, in Handbook of Research on Franchising, F. Hoy, R. Perrigot, A. Terry (eds), Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Susskind, Alex, Mark A. Bonn, Benjamin Lawrence (2015). How the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Damaged the Environment, the Travel Industry, and Corporate Reputations, Center for Hospitality Report.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Patrick Kaufmann (2015). Identity Tensions in Business Based Brand Relationships, in Better Brands, Better Relationships, S. Fournier, M. Breazeale, and J. Avery (eds.), London: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and Peng Liu (2014). Insights on Hospitality, Retailing, and Commercial Real Estate: 2014 Cornell Retail Real Estate Roundtable Proceedings, Center for Hospitality Report.
- Lawrence, Benjamin (2013). Proceedings: Emerging Trends in Restaurant Ownership and Management Roundtable, Center for Hospitality Report.
- Batra, Rishtee, Benjamin Lawrence, Susan Fournier and Russ Winer (2008). Engaging Communities for the Company and the Brand, Conference Summary Marketing Science Institute Report, 8-301.
- Lawrence, Benjamin and C.B. Bhattacharya (2008). Stakeholder Marketing: Beyond the Four Ps and the Customer, Conference Summary Marketing Science Institute Report, 200.