- Ph.D, Georgia State University - Strategic Management
- MBA, Louisiana State University - Internal Auditing Concentration
- B.S., Louisiana State University - International Trade and Finance
- strategic change and adaptation
- private equity funding as an entrepreneurial infrastructure mechanism
- intersection of strategic management and entrepreneurship
- strategic management and entrepreneurship pedagogy
Dr. Matherne's research is published in Journal of Business Venturing, European Management Journal, Journal of Management Education, Academy of Management Executive, Academy of Management Perspectives and Journal of International Entrepreneurship. His research is cited in more than 80 other publications and in five different languages. His research primarily focuses on strategic change due to dynamic industry infrastructure mechanisms. His current research includes an investigates the level of entrepreneurship content within strategic management pedagogical repositories and strategic responses within the cinema industry to industry dynamism.
Dr. Matherne previously consulted with Westinghouse Corp., UPS and DynMcDermott as well as many entrepreneurial firms. He brings a wealth of real-world experience into his classes from his prior work as Controller in his family’s business, commercial banker and Small Business Development Center Counselor. He primarily teaches Business Policy class for undergraduates, the capstone course for all business majors.
- 2010 "Local VC networks: Barriers to entry for new venture capital?" Academy of Management Perspectives, 2010: 24(4), 89-90.
- 2006 "'Walk the Talk': An Applied Ethics Program with Business Executives." (with Steve Gove, Victor Forlani, and Jay Janney), Journal of Management Education, Vol. 30(1): 106-133.
- 2005 "A Tale of Passion: New Insights into Entrepreneurship from a Parenthood Metaphor." (with Melissa Cardon, Charlene Zietsma, Patrick Saparito, and Carolyn Davis), Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 20(1): 23-45.
- 2003 "Technological Resource Leveraging and the Internationalization of New Ventures." (with Shaker A. Zahra and Julie Carleton), Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Vol. 1(2): 163-186.
- 1999 "Exploiting the Dynamic Links between Competitive and Technology Strategies." (with Shaker A. Zahra and Rajendra Sisodia), European Management Journal, Vol. 17 (2): 188-203.