- Ph.D., Georgia State University
- M.S., University of Georgia
- B.S., Armstrong State College
- strategic human resource management
- quality service
- organizational culture
- organizational commitment
- work teams
Cannon specializes in hotel management and human resource management in the hospitality industry. Prior to joining Georgia State University, she worked with the Ritz Carlton Hotel Company and Hyatt Hotels. Her research interests have focused on high performance service organizations, organizational culture, organizational commitment and work teams.
Cannon’s research has been published in journals including the Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Hospitality and Tourism Educator, and the International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. She was the founding Executive Editor of Praxis – The Journal of Applied Hospitality Management, a scholarly research journal formerly published by the Cecil B. Day School of Hospitality. She has conducted funded research for hospitality organizations such as the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Georgia Hospitality and Travel Association.
- Cannon, D.F., “Quality-Based Human Resource Strategic Planning.” Proceedings for the Business Management Institute VI sponsored by the Club Managers Association of America and the European Association of Club Managers, Dornach, Scotland, (November 2003): 1-40.
- Cannon, D. F., “Better understanding the impact of work interferences on organizational commitment.” Marriage and Family Review 28, nos. 1&2 (1998): 153-166.
- Cannon, Debra F., Raymond R. Ferreira, and Lawrence E. Ross. “An Analysis of Sexual Harassment in Private Clubs.” Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education 10, no. 3 (1998): 63-71.
- Cannon, D. F. & K. Smith, “To pay or not to pay: That is the legal question.” Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education 10, no. 2 (1998): 42-44.
- Cannon, D. F., “Better understanding the impact of work interferences on organizational commitment.” In The Role of the Hospitality Industry in the Lives of Individuals and Families eds. Cummings, P.R., F.A. Kwansa & M.B. Sussman (1998): 153-166.