- Ph.D., University of Georgia
- M.A., University of Georgia
- B.S., Appalachian State University
Prof. Miles has authored or co-authored over 30 refereed articles in scholarly management journals. These include publications in Academy of Management Review, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of Management. His current research is in the area of negotiation. These interests include negotiator goals, the effect of negotiation self-confidence on negotiated outcomes, and understanding why some people do not negotiate in situations where other people do.
Dr. Miles’s MBA course in negotiation is the most popular elective in the Robinson MBA program. Additionally, he lectures on negotiation at German universities in Mosbach and Stuttgart. Ed has received the Robinson College of Business Faculty Recognition Award for Excellence in Teaching. He has received multiple teaching awards in the Flex MBA and Professional MBA programs.
His training and consulting work is in the area of negotiation. He has done work for Accenture, AT&T, Solvay Pharmaceuticals, VLG, the Georgia Tech Building Construction Program, the National Training Service of Colombia, the United States Centers for Disease Control, and the United States Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
Dr. Miles is the author of a new book, The Past, Present, and Future of the Business School (Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), in which he traces the history of the greater university since medieval Europe and its influence on the 21st century university-based business school. This unique historical perspective explains cumulative influences that shape the ability of the current-day business school to align with stakeholder interests.
- Miles, E.W. (2017). Historical context and insights for criticisms of the 21st century business school. Journal of Education for Business, 92(5), 245-254.
- Miles, E. W. (2017). Lessons university-based business schools should learn vicariously–rather than through experience–from university athletics. Economics and Business Review.
- Chapman, E. F., Corner, A.J., & Miles, E. W. (2017). Job offer negotiations: A focused research approach. Book chapter in Negotiations: Insights, Strategies and Outcomes. Hauppauge, NY, USA: Nova Science Publishers.
- Chapman, E. F., Maurer, T. J., Miles, E. W. (2017, in press). Becoming a negotiator: A proposed model for effective negotiation skill development in employees. Journal of Management Development. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-01-2016-0002
- Miles, E.W. (2016). The Past, Present, and Future of the Business School. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Miles, E.W. & Schatten, J. (2015). “From the research lab to the office: Making negotiation research more accessible to negotiators.” Negotiation Journal, 31(4), 309-317.
- Miles. E.W. (2013). “Developing strategies for asking questions in negotiation.” Negotiation Journal, 29(4), 383-412.
- Miles, E.W. & Maurer, T.J. (2012). “Advancing validity of self-efficacy in negotiation through focusing at the domain level.” Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 85(1), 23-41.
- Miles, E. W., & Clenney, E. F. (2012). “Extremely difficult negotiator goals: Do they follow the predictions of goal-setting theory?” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 118(2), 108-115.