- Ph.D., University of Connecticut
- MBA., National University of Singapore
- B.Sc. (First Class Honors), University of Alberta (Molecular Genetics)
- B.Sc., University of Alberta (Biochemistry)
- executive compensation
- firm risk-taking
- behavioral decision-making processes
- corporate strategy
- family firms
Professor Lim is an Associate Professor in the Department of Managerial Sciences. Her research interests include behavioral strategy, strategic decision-making processes involving organizational risk taking, corporate governance (executive compensation, board of directors, ownership structure), corporate strategy (diversification, M&A, restructuring), and entrepreneurship (family firms, IPOs, technology and innovation). Her work has been published in leading journals such as Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal and Long Range Planning. A series of her research papers also have been recognized as a winner, finalist, or nominee for Best Paper Awards in top international conferences such as the Academy of Management and Strategic Management Society. Her dissertation earned the UCONN Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Award. She was the recipient of the Ewing Kauffman Foundation Fellowship Award. She has been elected to Beta Gamma Sigma, the International Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business.
Professor Lim teaches the capstone course in strategic management that is mandatory for all Robinson College of Business students. She has also previously taught the core course in international business. She was awarded several Certificates of Recognition for Outstanding Teaching Performance from the Department of Managerial Sciences.
Professor Lim has been appointed to the editorial review boards of elite journals such as Strategic Management Journal and Journal of Management. She also reviews for other premier journals such as the Academy of Management Journal and Organization Science. She was recently awarded “Outstanding SMJ Editorial Board Member” for her contribution to this influential journal. She also has served as track chair (Corporate Governance) in the Business Policy and Strategy (BPS) Division and research committee member in the Organization and Management Theory (OMT) Division of the prestigious Academy of Management, as well as chair for the pre-conference research development workshop at the highly regarded Atlanta Competitive Advantage Conference (ACAC).
- Lim, E. 2018. Attainment discrepancy and new geographic market entry: The moderating roles of vertical pay disparity and horizontal pay dispersion. Journal of Management Studies (Forthcoming, Special Issue on March and Simon’s “Organizations”).
- Lim, E. 2017. Social pay reference point, external environment, and risk taking: An integrated behavioral and social psychological view. Journal of Business Research (Forthcoming).
- Lim, E. 2016. CEO Option Wealth and Firm Risk Taking: An Analysis of Multiple Reference Points. Long Range Planning (Forthcoming).
- Lim, E. 2015. “The Role of Reference Point in CEO Restricted Stock and Its Impact on R&D Intensity in High-Technology Firms.” Strategic Management Journal, 36(6): 872-889.
- Benischke, M., Martin, G., & Lim, E. 2015. “Risk Bearing, Inter-Temporal Preferences and Agent Risk Taking: The Behavioral Agency Model and Acquisition Completion.” Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings (BPS Division).
- Lim, E. 2015. “Social Comparison of Top Managers’ Relative Equity Wealth, External Environment and Firm Risk Taking.” Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings (BPS Division).
- Lim, E. 2014. “CEO Option Wealth and Firm Risk-Taking: An Analysis of Multiple Reference Points.” Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings (BPS Division).
- Lim, E., & McCann, B.T. 2014. “Performance Feedback and Firm Risk-Taking: Moderating Roles of CEO and Outside Director Stock Options.” Organization Science, 25(1): 262-282.
- Lim, E., & McCann, B.T. 2013. The Influence of Relative Values of Outside Director Stock Options on Firm Strategic Risk from a Multi-Agent View. Strategic Management Journal, 34(13): 1568-1590.
- Lim, E., Lubatkin, M.H., & Wiseman, R.M. 2010. A Family Firm Variant of the Behavioral Agency Theory. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 4(3): 197-211. [LEAD ARTICLE]
- Lim, E., Das, S.S., & Das, A. 2009. Diversification Strategy, Capital Structure, and the Asian Financial Crisis (1997-98): Evidence from Singapore Firms. Strategic Management Journal, 30(6): 577-594. [LEAD ARTICLE]
- Bergh, D.D. & Lim, E. 2008. Learning How to Restructure: Absorptive Capacity and Improvisational Views of Restructuring Actions and Performance. Strategic Management Journal, 29(6): 593-616.