- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- S.M., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.E., Cornell University
- B.M.E., Cornell University
- measuring information systems success
- management of information systems
- strategic planning for information systems
- using information systems for competitive advantage
- roles of information systems executives
- health information technology
McLean is an internationally recognized expert and lecturer on information systems. His extensive consulting experience includes work for BellSouth, Chick-fil-A, Citibank, Digital Equipment, IBM, and Primerica, among others.
McLean has published three books: Strategic Planning for MIS, Management of Information Services, and Information Technology for Management, the latter until recently being the second largest selling textbook on information systems in the world.
He has also published more than 120 scholarly and professional articles in such publications as the Harvard Business Review, Sloan Management Review, Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Journal of MIS, and Computerworld. He has conducted executive presentations and management workshops throughout North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. He is listed in Marquis' Who's Who in America and Who's Who in the World.
- Turban, Ephraim, McLean, Ephraim R., and Wetherbe, James C., Information Technology for Management, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 3rd Edition, 2002, 805 pp.
- Brown, Carol V., McLean, Ephraim R., and Straub, Detmar W., "Partnering Roles of the IS Executive," Information Systems Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, Spring 1996, pp. 14-18.
- McLean, Ephraim R., Kappelman, Leon A., and Thompson, John P., "Converging End-User and Corporate Computing," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 36, No. 12, December 1993, pp. 79-92.
- Smits, Stanley J., McLean, Ephraim R., and Tanner, John R., "Managing High-Achieving Information Systems Professionals," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 9, No. 4, Spring 1993, pp. 103-120.
- DeLone, William H., and McLean, Ephraim R., "Information Systems Success: The Quest for the Dependent Variable," Information Systems Research, March 1992, pp. 60-95.