- J.D., Emory University School of Law
- B.A., University of Rochester
- Enterprise risk management
- Property/casualty and professional liability insurance
- Insurance regulation and agency/broker matters
- Contract law and legal studies
- Personal financial planning
- Corporate governance
- Business ethics
Harold Weston is is a member of the California and Georgia Bar Associations, and holds the CPCU, RPLU and ARM designations. He was a licensed insurance producer (California) and licensed insurance counselor (Georgia).
Prior to joining the faculty, Professor Weston was engaged in private and corporate legal practice, and as a consultant on insurance and risk management. He advised and litigated almost all aspects of insurance coverage and “bad faith” cases, through appeals. He also litigated insurance defense, agent-broker professional liability, and other commercial cases. His corporate insurance experience was as senior counsel at a major property/casualty insurer in the coverage counsel office, and then in the general counsel office handling regulatory compliance, agency-broker matters, policy forms drafting and manuscript endorsements, professional liability, insurance marketing, financial institutions privacy, and general business matters.
Professor Weston is a member of CPCU Society: he serves on the Coverage, Litigators, Educators and Witnesses (CLEW) interest committee, and is past president and a director of the Atlanta Chapter. He also is a member of RIMS, and serves on its external affairs committee.
- Klein, R. and Weston, H. (2019). “No Debt and Underwater: The Rising Need for Flood Insurance Especially As Home Equity Rises,” Journal of Financial Service Professionals (forthcoming).
- Weston, H. (2019). “Transactional Risk and Contractual Risk Accommodation In Contract Drafting: More Than An Indemnity Paragraph,” Transactions, Tennessee Journal of Business Law, vol. 20: 673-692.
- Weston, H. and McLaughlin, J. (2018). “Sounds of Coverage: Noise as a Covered Loss,” New Appleman on Insurance: Current Critical Issues in Insurance Law (Fall).
- Weston, H., Conklin, T., Drobnis, K. (2018). “Assessing and Re-Setting Culture for Enterprise Risk Management.” Assurances et Gestion des Risques/ Insurance and Risk Management, vol. 85(1-2): 131-172.
- Weston, H. and Ciccotello, C. (2018). “Flash Traders (Milliseconds) to Indexed Institutions (Centuries): The Challenges of an Agency Theory Approach to Governance in the Era of Diverse Investor Time Horizons,” Seattle University Law Review, vol. 41: 615-658.
- Weston, H. and Rosner, P. (2018). “Ethics, Communications and Control in the Insurance Tripartite Relationship,” CPCU Insights, (Spring).
- Weston, H. and Schwarzbach, C. (2016). “Limitations of German Insurance Disclosures to Improve Consumer Understanding, With Lessons for U.S. Insurance Practices,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, vol. 35 (8): 1-28
- Weston, H. (2016). “Data Analytics As Predictor Of Character Or Virtues, And The Risks To Autonomy,” International Review of Information Ethics, 24: 32-43.
- Weston, H. (2016). “Case Study: Life Insurers’ Decision To Use Retained Asset Accounts For Life Insurance Payouts,” Risk Management and Insurance Review, 19 (1): 127-145.
- Weston, “Asset Management for Downside Risks, for High-Income Clients and Small-Business Owners,” Journal of Financial Services Professionals, 69(4): 53-61 (2015).
- Weston and G. Harrison, “Climate Change and Risk: A Multidisciplinary Risk Course,” Journal of Risk Education, vol. 5 (1), 9-20 (2014).
- Margaret Sherman, Harold Weston, Susan Willey and Nancy Mansfield, “Risky Business: Managing Risk in a Complex and Connected World,” Revue Management and Avenir, vol. 74: 159-173 (2014).
- Susan Willey and Harold Weston, “Introducing Risk Management Concepts To Business Law Students: It’s More Than Contracts,” Atlantic Law Journal, vol. 16: 20-54 (2014), http://www.atlanticlawjournal.org/volume-16.html.
- Weston, “A la Carte Coverage. Unbundling Causes of Losses and Coverage Grants to Allow Consumer-Insured Selection.” Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy, vol. 11 (1): 39-88 (Fall 2013) http://www.rutgerspolicyjournal.org/volume-11-issue-1-fragmented-risk-symposium.
- Weston, “From Fire Insurance to Home Owner’s and Commercial Property Insurance,” Property Casualty Insider (June 2013).
- Weston, “Case Study: Phone Hacking And Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation,” Ivey Business School Publishing (2013).
- Weston, “The Imperfect Match Between Long-Term Care Risk and Long-Term Care Insurance” Journal of Financial Service Professionals, vol. 66 (4): 37-43 (July 2012).
- Weston, “Contract Perfection and the Despair of Getting the Consumer to Read the Insurance Contract,” PLUS Journal (May 2012).
- Weston, “The Risk of Too Much Governance: Tax Form 990 And The Real And Imagined Requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley.” Corporate Governance Advisor, vol. 21 (1): 21-28 (Jan-Feb. 2012).
Books and Encyclopedia Entries
- Pierce, Weston, Levy, McMahan, Insurance Practices and Coverage in Liability Defense, Second Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2013 – 2015).
- Pierce, Weston, Levy & Valentine, Defending The Insured (Aspen Publishers, 2005 – 2012).
Weston, Annotation, “The Insured’s Duty to Read the Insurance Policy As Affirmative Defense in Claims Against Insurance Agents and Brokers,” 8 ALR 6th 549 (2005).
- Weston, Annotation, “Educator’s Liability Insurance,” 94 A.L.R. 5th 567 (2001).
- Weston, Annotation, “Lawyers’ Professional Liability Insurance,” 92 A.L.R. 5th 273 (2001).
- Weston, Annotation, “Effect of Motor Carrier Act Provisions on Insurance and Indemnity Agreements (49 U.S.C.A. 13906, 14102) in Allocating Losses,” 157 A.L.R. Fed. 549 (1999).