- J.D., Emory University School of Law
- B.A., University of Rochester
- Property-casualty including professional liability insurance
- Insurance regulation and agency/broker matters
- Enterprise risk management
- Privacy and data usage
- Contract law
- Personal financial planning
- Corporate governance
Harold Weston holds the WSIA Distinguished Chair in Risk Management and Insurance. He is the director for the undergraduate risk management and insurance program, and for the MBA concentration in risk management and insurance. Prof. Weston also holds a secondary appointment in the College of Law.
Prof. Weston is a member of the California and Georgia Bar Associations, and holds the CPCU, RPLU, ARM and CPRIA designations. He is a member of the Risk and Insurance Management Society’s Standards and Practices Committee, and previously served on the External Affairs Committee. He is a member of the CPCU Society, and has been active at the national level, and in the Atlanta chapter in leadership positions. He is also a member of the American College of Coverage Counsel, plus other insurance professional organizations.
Prior to joining the faculty in 2009, Professor Weston was engaged in corporate and private legal practice. He was senior counsel at Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company in the general counsel's office where his work involved agent-broker contracts and matters, policy form drafting, privacy, and compliance; he also worked with the legislative affairs department; and he was the primary counsel to one of the operating subsidiaries. Before that, he did litigation involving almost all aspects of insurance coverage and bad faith cases, through appeals, and general litigation.
- Weston, H. (2021). “Criminals Targeting Retirement Accounts Create A New Use for Crime Insurance,” Journal of Financial Services Professionals, (forthcoming).
- Klein, R. and Weston, H. (2020). “Government Insurance for Business Interruption Losses from Pandemics: An Evaluation of its Feasibility and Possible Frameworks,” Risk Management and Insurance Review, vol. 23(4): 401-440.
- Klein, R. and Weston, H. (2020). “Feasibility Questions About Government-Sponsored Insurance for Business Interruption Losses from Pandemics,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, vol. 39(7): 1-19.
- Binder, P., Willey., S. and Weston, H. (2020). “Teaching Workplace Privacy with a Big Data Module,” Journal of Legal Studies – Education vol. 37(2): 185-244.
- Wells, B. and Weston, H. (2020), “Social Media as a Factor in Personal Injury Underwriting: Risk, Rate and Regulation,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, vol. 39(1): 1-20.
- Sherman, M. and Weston, H. (2019). “Fizz Fight: A Study in How Soda Taxes Affect Coca-Cola’s Business Strategy and Tactics,” Journal of Legal Studies in Business, vol. 22: 31-94.
- Klein, R. and Weston, H. (2019). “No Debt and Underwater: The Rising Need for Flood Insurance Especially as Home Equity Rises,” Journal of Financial Service Professionals, vol. 73(4): 83-96.
- Weston, H. (2019). “Transactional Risk and Contractual Risk Accommodation In Contract Drafting: More Than An Indemnity Paragraph,” Transactions, Tennessee Journal of Business Law, vol. 20: 673-692.
- Weston, H. and McLaughlin, J. (2018). “Sounds of Coverage: Noise as a Covered Loss,” New Appleman on Insurance: Current Critical Issues in Insurance Law (Fall).
- Weston, H., Conklin, T., Drobnis, K. (2018). “Assessing and Re-Setting Culture for Enterprise Risk Management.” Assurances et Gestion des Risques/ Insurance and Risk Management, vol. 85(1-2): 131-172.
- Weston, H. and Ciccotello, C. (2018). “Flash Traders (Milliseconds) to Indexed Institutions (Centuries): The Challenges of an Agency Theory Approach to Governance in the Era of Diverse Investor Time Horizons,” Seattle University Law Review, vol. 41: 615-658.
- Weston, H. and Rosner, P. (2018). “Ethics, Communications and Control in the Insurance Tripartite Relationship,” CPCU Insights, (Spring).
- Weston, H. and Schwarzbach, C. (2016). “Limitations of German Insurance Disclosures to Improve Consumer Understanding, With Lessons for U.S. Insurance Practices,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, vol. 35 (8): 1-28
- Weston, H. (2016). “Data Analytics As Predictor Of Character Or Virtues, And The Risks To Autonomy,” International Review of Information Ethics, 24: 32-43.
- Weston, H. (2016). “Case Study: Life Insurers’ Decision To Use Retained Asset Accounts For Life Insurance Payouts,” Risk Management and Insurance Review, 19 (1): 127-145.
- Weston, “Asset Management for Downside Risks, for High-Income Clients and Small-Business Owners,” Journal of Financial Services Professionals, 69(4): 53-61 (2015).
- Weston and G. Harrison, “Climate Change and Risk: A Multidisciplinary Risk Course,” Journal of Risk Education, vol. 5 (1), 9-20 (2014).
- Margaret Sherman, Harold Weston, Susan Willey and Nancy Mansfield, “Risky Business: Managing Risk in a Complex and Connected World,” Revue Management and Avenir, vol. 74: 159-173 (2014).
- Susan Willey and Harold Weston, “Introducing Risk Management Concepts To Business Law Students: It’s More Than Contracts,” Atlantic Law Journal, vol. 16: 20-54 (2014), http://www.atlanticlawjournal.org/volume-16.html.
- Weston, “A la Carte Coverage. Unbundling Causes of Losses and Coverage Grants to Allow Consumer-Insured Selection.” Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy, vol. 11 (1): 39-88 (Fall 2013) http://www.rutgerspolicyjournal.org/volume-11-issue-1-fragmented-risk-symposium.
- Weston, “From Fire Insurance to Home Owner’s and Commercial Property Insurance,” Property Casualty Insider (June 2013).
- Weston, “Case Study: Phone Hacking And Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation,” Ivey Business School Publishing (2013).
- Weston, “The Imperfect Match Between Long-Term Care Risk and Long-Term Care Insurance” Journal of Financial Service Professionals, vol. 66 (4): 37-43 (July 2012).
- Weston, “Contract Perfection and the Despair of Getting the Consumer to Read the Insurance Contract,” PLUS Journal (May 2012).
- Weston, “The Risk of Too Much Governance: Tax Form 990 And The Real And Imagined Requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley.” Corporate Governance Advisor, vol. 21 (1): 21-28 (Jan-Feb. 2012).
Books and Encyclopedia Entries
- Pierce, Weston, Levy, McMahan, Insurance Practices and Coverage in Liability Defense, Second Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2013 - 2015).
- Pierce, Weston, Levy & Valentine, Defending The Insured (Aspen Publishers, 2005 - 2012).
Weston, Annotation, “The Insured’s Duty to Read the Insurance Policy As Affirmative Defense in Claims Against Insurance Agents and Brokers,” 8 ALR 6th 549 (2005).
- Weston, Annotation, “Educator's Liability Insurance,” 94 A.L.R. 5th 567 (2001).
- Weston, Annotation, “Lawyers' Professional Liability Insurance,” 92 A.L.R. 5th 273 (2001).
- Weston, Annotation, “Effect of Motor Carrier Act Provisions on Insurance and Indemnity Agreements (49 U.S.C.A. 13906, 14102) in Allocating Losses,” 157 A.L.R. Fed. 549 (1999).