- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- MBA, Seoul National University
- certificate, Harvard Business School
- decision support technology
- wireless telecommunications
- cellular phone TV standard
- digital multimedia broadcasting
- AR/VR and 5G
- internet of things (IoT)
- kinetic threats and IoT cybersecurity
- big data and analytics
Dr. J. P. Shim is CIS faculty and executive director of Korean-American Business Center at Georgia State University. He was BIS Professor, Larry and Tonya Favreau Notable Scholar, John Grisham Professor, and International Business Strategy Program Director at Mississippi State University (MSU). He is professor emeritus at MSU. He has published five books and 100+ papers in Journal of AIS, Journal of Information Technology, European Journal of Information Systems, Communications of the ACM, Decision Support Systems, Interfaces, ISR, Information & Management, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Human Relations, Omega, IEEE, Computers & Operations Research, Journal of Operational Research Society, Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, Long Range Planning, Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, ICIS Proceedings, and Academy of Management Proceedings.
He received numerous grants on telecommunications, RFID, and eBusiness from National Science Foundation, Microsoft, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), U.S. Small Business Administration, Japan Foundation, Korea Foundation, Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning, and others. He taught at University of Wisconsin System, New York University, Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Mississippi State University. He was 2013 AMCIS Program Co-chair and has been Wireless Telecom Symposium/IEEE Program Chair for 12+ years (2005-present). He is a frequent invited speaker at universities, research institutes, and companies in 30 countries. He has had interviews with CBS TV, Associated Press (AP), and numerous media/press. His comments on business and technology have appeared in the AP, The Clarion Ledger, Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, Daily Journal, Chosun Ilbo (Chosun Daily News in Seoul, The Korea Economic Daily, and National Public Radio, and CBS-TV, among others. He worked as a consultant for ASE (Booz-Allen Hamilton Subsidiary), EPA, Kia Motors, Hyundai Motors Group, CYR International Inc., and others. Dr. Shim is currently working for Global Mobile Alert, Inc. as a Senior Executive Consultant.
- Shim, J. P., A. M. French, and B. Upreti, “Speech Analytics for Actionable Insights: Current Status, Recommendation and Guidance” Foundations and Trends in Information Systems, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2020, pp. 213-274.
- French, A. M., M. Risius, and J. P. Shim, “The Interaction of Virtual Reality, Blockchain, and 5G New Radio: Disrupting Business and Society,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 46, Article 25, 2020, pp. 603-618.
- Degirmenci, K., J. P. Shim, M. H. Breitner, F. Nolte, and J. Passlick, “Future of Flexible Work in the Digital Age: Bring Your Own Device Challenges of Privacy Protection,” Proceedings of Fortieth International Conference on Information Systems, Munich. 2019.
- Guo, C., M. Warkentin, X. Luo, A. Gurung, and J. P. Shim, “An imposed etic approach with Schwartz polar dimensions to explore cross-cultural use of social network services,” Information & Management, accepted for publication (available online Jan 17, 2020).
- Shim, J. P., R. v.d. Dam, S. Aiello, J. Penttinen, R. Sharda, and A. French, “5G Technologies: Insights, Opportunities & the Future,” Proceedings of Twenty-sixth Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2020.
- Eriksson, L., M. Rossi, J. P. Shim, and C. Sorensen, “Business and Research Perspectives of Industrial Internet Applications,” Regulating Industrial Internet Through IPR, Data Protection and Competition Law (edited by R. Ballardini, P. Kuoppamaki, O. Pitkanen), Wolters Kluwer, 2019.
- Shim, J. P., “Kinetic Threats and IoT Cybersecurity Issues Facing the Interconnected Society and its Digital Resilience,” International Journal of Interdisciplinary Telecommunications and Networking, forthcoming.
- Shim, J. P. and R. Taylor, “Purchase-based Analytics and Big Data for Actionable Insights,” IEEE IT Professional, Vol. 21, Issue 5,2019, pp. 48-56.
- Shim, J. P., R. Sharda, A. French, R. Syler, and K. Patten, “The Internet of Things: Multi-Faceted Research Perspectives,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 46, Article 21, 2020, pp. 511-536.
- Shim, J. P., M. Avital, A. Dennis, M. Rossi, C. Sorensen, and A. French, “The Transformative Effect of the Internet of Things on Business and Society,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 44, Issue 1, 2019, pp. 129-140.
- Shim, J. P., “The Impact of More C-Level or Executive Speakers in CIS Class,” Proceedings of 39th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), 2018.
- Shim, J. P., Avital,M. , Dennis, A.R. , Sheng, O., Rossi, M., Sorensen, C., and French, A.M. “Internet of Things: Opportunities and Challenges to Business, Society, and IS Research,” Proceedings of 2017 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS).
- French, A., Shim, J. P., Otondo, R. , and Templeton, G. “An Empirical Study Evaluating Social Networking Continuance and Success,” Journal of Computer Information Systems, March 8, 2017, pp. 1-10.
- Ouyang, Y., A. Huet, J. P. Shim, and M. Hu, “Latent Clustering Models for Outlier Identification in Telecom Data,” Mobile Information Systems (Special Issue of Design, Dimensioning, and Optimization of 4G/5G Wireless Communication Network), November, 2016.
- French, A. and J. P. Shim, “The Digital Revolution: Internet of Things, 5G and Beyond,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), Vol. 38, No. 40, 2016, pp. 840-850.
- Shim, J. P., J. Koh, S. Fister, and H. Seo, “Phonetic Analytics Technology and Big Data: Real-World Cases,” Communications of the ACM (CACM), Vol. 59, No. 2, 2016, pp. 84-90.
- Shim, J. P., A. French, J. Guo, and J. Jablonski, “Big Data and Analytics: Issues, Solutions, and ROI,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 37, Article 29, October, 2015, pp. 797-810.
- Shim, J. P., R. Pearson, K. Marett, and C. Moore, “Stretching from Punch Card/Programming to Business Data Processing (BDP) to Business Information Systems (BIS),” Special Issue on IS History, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 36, No. 28. 2015, pp. 583-591.
- French, A., J. Guo, and J. P. Shim, “Current Status, Issues, and Future of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD),” Communications
of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 35, Article 10, November, 2014, pp. 191-197.
- French, A. and J. P. Shim, “Influence of American Institutions on Information Systems Research within Asia,”
Pacific Asia Journal of AIS, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2012, pp. 43-59.
- French, A. and J. P. Shim, “Multinational Diversity in IS Research: The Effects of Education on Publication Outlets,”
Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2011, pp. 313-322.
- Kim, J., J. P. Shim, and K. Ahn, “Social Networking Service: Motivation, Pleasure, and Behavioral Intention to Use,”
Journal of Computer Information Systems, Summer 2011, pp.92-101.
- Luo, R., H. Li, J. Zhang, and J. P. Shim, “Examining Multi-dimensional Trust and Multi-faceted Risk in Initial Acceptance of
Emerging Technologies: An Empirical Study of Mobile Banking Services,” Decision Support Systems, Vol. 49, 2010, pp. 222- 234.
- Otondo, R., A. Pearson, R. Pearson, J. Shaw, and J. P. Shim, “Managerial Problem-Solving in the Adoption of Radio
Frequency Identification Technologies,” European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 18, 2009, pp. 553-569.
- Powell, S. and J. P. Shim, Wireless Technology: Applications, Management, and Security, Springer-Verlag Publishing Company, 2009.