- M.A., Georgia State University
- B.A., The University of Texas
- business communication
- public relations
Jan R. Costello teaches Business Communication and Professional Development in the Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University in Atlanta. She has experience in many communications fields, including print and broadcast journalism, public relations, corporate media relations, speechwriting, textbook editing, copywriting for social media, and marketing.
She began her career in television, working as a reporter and anchor at news stations in Texas, Oklahoma, and Atlanta's WSB. Ms. Costello earned her B.A. at the University of Texas and a Master of Communications from Georgia State University. She worked as freelance journalist for the Atlanta Business Chronicle and other publications. Her experience includes writing and producing newsletters, articles, speeches, and brochures for corporate and non-profit clients; managing media relations for AT&T’s southeast region; and promoting Coca-Cola's Hands Across America fund-raising project.
She creates educational podcasts and works independently as a communications consultant and writer. She is actively involved in economic and community development.
She and her husband, Fred Plummer, are the proud parents of two young adults who both earned degrees from Georgia Tech.
- On Writing: Instructional podcasts on business letters, memo, and other writing challenges.
- Power Up Your Presentations: Robinson College of Business students take the lead in showing students how to be effective speakers.
- Costello, Jan R., project editor. "Chronicle of the Century: 100 years of Atlanta Business," Atlanta Business Chronicle, (Week of November 30, 1999), 1 – 130.
- Costello, Jan. "At Home with Bill and Carolyn Curry: A football legend and nonprofit founder at their Park Place condo," Living in Atlanta, (Winter 2007), 37-40.
- Costello, Jan. "Green helps Midtown Blue: Cleaning up streets prevents crime," Atlanta Business Chronicle, (November 17 – 23, 2006), 9C.