- Ph.D., hospitality management
- M.S., hospitality management
- B.S., culinary arts management
- private club management
- sports event satisfaction
- sports marketing
- culinary and beverage tourism
Dr. Townsend specializes in private club management, food and beverage operations, and quality service in the hospitality industry. Prior to joining Georgia State University, he worked with independent private clubs and Auburn University's athletics department. His research interests have focused on high-quality service in sports arenas, beverage tourism, and sports fans.
Townsend's research has appeared in the International Journal of Sport and Society as well as conference proceedings from the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE); Southeastern Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (SECHRIE); and the International Interdisciplinary Business-Economics Advancement (IIBA).
- "Confirming the Game-day Satisfaction Construct – A Modeling Study of National Collegiate Athletic Association Game Day Patrons." Journal of Sports Management and Commercialization, Volume 7, Issue 1, March 2016, pp.1-12. Published online: March 3, 2016.