- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- M.A., Western Kentucky University
- LL.B., Foreign Affairs College
- international business
- cross-cultural negotiations and conflict
- comparative organizational behavior
Leigh Anne Liu is the Fulbright-Hanken Distinguished Chair in Business and Economics 2020-2021 jointly awarded by the U.S. Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and Fulbright Finland Foundation. She studies how culture and cognition influence intercultural interactions, including negotiation, conflict management and collaborations at individual, team, firm, and national levels. Her research appears in Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Applied Psychology and Journal of International Business Studies, among other outlets. She has been a visiting professor at University of South Australia, Toulouse Business School in France, Peking University and Nanjing University in China. She has consulted for Fortune 500 companies and the non-profit sector on conflict management and multicultural competency programs. Professor Liu has taught courses and workshops for undergraduate, MBA, master of international business, Ph.D. and executive students on topics of international negotiation, multicultural competency, global management and cross-cultural behavior. She is an associate editor for Journal of Business Research and Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, and a guest editor of three special issues, one on intercultural conflict and collaboration and one on humanistic leadership for Cross Cultural & Strategic Management and another on talent management of multinational companies in and from China for Human Resource Management. She also serves on the editorial boards of Academy of Management Review, Management and Organization Review, and International Business Review.
- Yao, J., Zhang, Z-X., & Liu, L.A. When there is no ZOPA: Mental fatigue, integrative complexity, and creative agreement in negotiations. Forthcoming in Negotiation and Conflict Management Research.
- Feng, J.B., Liu, L.A., & Jiang, C. 2019. Parochialism and implications for Chinese firms’ globalization. Management and Organization Review, 15(4): 705-736.
Re-written for Management Insights (bilingual), 2019.
- Cooke, F.L., Liu, M., Liu, L.A., & Chen, C. 2019. Human resource management and industrial relations in multinational corporations in and from China: Challenges and new insights. Human Resource Management, 58(5): 455–471.
- Liu, L.A., Adair, W.L., Tjosvold, D., & Poliakova, E. 2018. Understanding intercultural dynamics: Integrating insights from competition and cooperation in complex contexts. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 25(1): 2-31.
- Liu, W., Liu, L.A. & Zhang, J-D. 2016. How to dissolve fixed-pie bias in negotiation? Social antecedents and the mediating effect of mental model adjustment. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37(1): 85-107.
- Liu, L.A., Adair, W.L., & Bello, D.C. 2015. Fit, misfit, and beyond fit: Relational metaphors and semantic fit in international joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 46(7): 830-849.
- Zhang, J-D. Liu, L.A. & Liu, W. 2015. Trust and deception in negotiation: Culturally divergent effects. Management and Organization Review, 11(1), 123-144.
- Liu, L.A., Inlow, L.B., & Feng, J.B. 2014. Institutionalizing sustainable conflict management in organizations: Leaders, networks, and sensemaking. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 32(2), 155-176.
- Liu, L.A. 2014. Addressing reviewer comments as an integrative negotiation. Management and Organization Review, 10(2), 183-190.
- Liu, L.A., Ma, L., Chua, C-H., Zhang, Z-X, & Barzantny, C. 2013. The confluence of cultural richness and global identity in intracultural and intercultural negotiations. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Liu, L.A., Friedman, R.A., Barry, B., Gelfand, M.J., & Zhang, Z-X. 2012. The dynamics of consensus building in intracultural and intercultural negotiations. Administrative Science Quarterly, 57(2), 269-304.
- Adair, W.L. & Liu, L.A. 2011. Building shared mental models in multicultural multiparty negotiations: The dynamic process. Research on Managing Groups and Teams, 14, 57-78.
- Danis, W., Liu, L.A., & Vacek, J. 2011. Values and upward influence strategies in transition: Evidence from the Czech Republic. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 42(2), 288-306.
- Liu, L.A., Chua, C.H., & Stahl, G. 2010. Quality of communication experience: Definition, measurement, and implications for intercultural negotiations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(3), 469-487.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R.A., Liu, L.A., & McLean Parks, J. 2007. Racial differences in sensitivity to behavioral integrity: Attitudinal consequences, in-group effects, and “trickle down” among Black and Non-Black Employees. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(3), 650-665.
Selected for Academy of Management Perspectives, Research Brief, Nov 2007.
- Friedman, R.A., Chi, S-c., & Liu, L.A. 2006. An expectancy model of Chinese American differences in conflict avoiding. Journal of International Business Studies, 37(1), 76-91.
- Liu, L.A., Friedman, R.A., & Chi, S-c. 2005. “Ren Qing” versus the “Big 5”: The need for culturally sensitive measures of individual difference in negotiation. Management and Organization Review, 1(2), 225-247.
Bronze Medal for the Wiley-Blackwell Management and Organization Review Young Scholar Award.
- Cai, W. & Liu, L.A. 2010. Differences in willingness to express one’s opinion in U.S. and Chinese online consumer interactions. China Currents, Vol 9, No.2.
- Liu, L.A. 2010. Guidelines for negotiating in a multicultural world. In Inlow, L.B. (ed.) Mediating Workplace Conflict: Training Manual for the World Health Organization (WHO). Geneva, Switzerland.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R.A., Liu, L.A., & McLean Parks, J. 2008. The importance of behavioral integrity in a multicultural workplace. Cornell Hospitality Reports, Vol 8, No.17.
- Liu, L.A. & Adair, W.L. 2017. Intercultural Communication in International Negotiation. In Y.Y. Kim & K. McKay-Semmler (eds.) The International Encyclopedia of Intercultural Communication. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell. DOI: 10.1002/9781118783665.ieicc0048
- Liu, L.A., Loch, K.D., & Bruce, D.C. 2014. Cultivating political wisdom like consiglieri in China and beyond. In J. Miles (ed.) New Directions in Management and Organization Theory (pp.339-352). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Liu, L.A. & Cai, W. 2013. Shared cognition and identity in negotiation. In M. Olekalns & W.L. Adair (Eds.) Handbook on Negotiation Research (pp. 75-102). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Qiu, J., Zhang, Z-X., & Liu, L.A. 2011. Cultural processes in teams: The development of team mental models in heterogeneous work teams. In A. K-y. Leung, C.Y. Chiu, & Y-y, Hong (Eds.) Cultural Processes: A Social Psychological Perspective (pp. 172-187). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Liu, L.A. & Dale, C. 2009. Using mental models to study cross-cultural interactions. In C. Nakata (ed.) Beyond Hofstede: Cultural Frameworks for Global Marketing and Management (pp. 222-244). Hampshire, England: Macmillan’s Palgrave.
- Zhang, Z-X., Chen, C. C., Liu, L.A., & Liu, X. F. 2008. Chinese traditions and Western theories: Sources of influence on business leaders in China. In C. C. Chen & Y. T. Lee (Eds.), Leadership and Management in China: Philosophies, Theories, and Practices (239-271). London: Cambridge University Press.