- Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- international business
- cross-cultural negotiations and conflict
- comparative organizational behavior
Leigh Anne Liu is Professor and Director of the Institute of International Business. She studies how culture and cognition influence intercultural interactions, including negotiation, conflict management, and collaborations at individual, organization, and national levels. Her research appears in Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of International Business Studies, among other outlets. Her research teams have received grants from the World Health Organization, the U.S. Department of Education, Department of Defense, the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, and the European Commission. Leigh Anne was awarded the Fulbright-Hanken Distinguished Chair in Business and Economics in 2020 by the U.S. Department of State, Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, and Fulbright Finland Foundation. She has been a visiting professor at University of South Australia, Toulouse Business School in France, Peking University and Nanjing University in China. Professor Liu has taught courses and workshops for undergraduate, MBA, MIB, Ph.D., executives, and high school students on topics of international negotiation, intercultural competency, cross-cultural management, and research methods. She has consulted for Fortune 500 companies and the non-profit sector on conflict management and multicultural competency programs. She served as an associate editor for Journal of Business Research and Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, and a guest editor of three special issues. She has served on the editorial boards of Journal of International Business Studies, Academy of Management Review, Management and Organization Review, and International Business Review.
- Feng, J.B., Liu, S. Y-h., & Liu, L.A. 2023. Cognitive antecedents of EMNEs’ dynamic capabilities: A case study of global identity at Lenovo. Journal of Business Research. doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2022.113312
- Pang, D., Liu, L.A., & Chen, M-J. 2022. A transparadox process of decision making. Management and Organization Review, 18(3): 427-462. doi: 10.1017/mor.2021.38
- Zhang, Z-X., Liu, L.A., & Ma, L. 2021. Negotiation Beliefs: Comparing Americans and Chinese. Forthcoming in International Business Review, 30(5): DOI: 10.1016/j.ibusrev.2021.101849.
- Cavusgil, S.T., Ghauri, P., & Liu, L.A. 2021. Doing Business in Emerging Markets. Third edition. London: Sage Publications. ISBN: paperback 9781526494559, hardback 9781526494566, eBook 9781529760279.
- Corner, A.J., Liu, L.A., & Bird, A. 2021. Intercultural competencies for emerging markets: A contextualized approach. International Business Review, 30(3). DOI: 10.1016/j.ibusrev.2020.101792.
- Liu, L.A., Chiu, C.Y., & Zhang, Z-X. 2021. Dynamic transformation of communal and exchange schemata in multicultural relationships. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 28(2): 368-383.
- Yao, J., Zhang, Z-X., & Liu, L.A. 2021. When there is no ZOPA: Mental fatigue, integrative complexity, and creative agreement in negotiations. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 24(2): 111-130.
- Fu, P., Von Kimakowitz, E., Lemanski, M., & Liu, L.A.2020. Humanistic leadership in different cultures: Defining the field by pushing boundaries. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 27(4): 533-546.
- Feng, J.B., Liu, L.A., & Jiang, C. 2019. Parochialism and implications for Chinese firms’ globalization. Management and Organization Review, 15(4): 705-736.
- Cooke, F.L., Liu, M., Liu, L.A., & Chen, C. 2019. Human resource management and industrial relations in multinational corporations in and from China: Challenges and new insights. Human Resource Management, 58(5): 455–471.
- Liu, L.A., Adair, W.L., Tjosvold, D., & Poliakova, E. 2018. Understanding intercultural dynamics: Integrating insights from competition and cooperation in complex contexts. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 25(1): 2-31.
- Liu, W., Liu, L.A. & Zhang, J-D. 2016. How to dissolve fixed-pie bias in negotiation? Social antecedents and the mediating effect of mental model adjustment. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37(1): 85-107.
- Liu, L.A., Adair, W.L., & Bello, D.C. 2015. Fit, misfit, and beyond fit: Relational metaphors and semantic fit in international joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 46(7): 830-849.
- Zhang, J-D. Liu, L.A. & Liu, W. 2015. Trust and deception in negotiation: Culturally divergent effects. Management and Organization Review, 11(1), 123-144.
- Liu, L.A., Inlow, L.B., & Feng, J.B. 2014. Institutionalizing sustainable conflict management in organizations: Leaders, networks, and sensemaking. Conflict Resolution Quarterly, 32(2), 155-176.
- Liu, L.A. 2014. Addressing reviewer comments as an integrative negotiation. Management and Organization Review, 10(2), 183-190.
- Liu, L.A., Ma, L., Chua, C-H., Zhang, Z-X, & Barzantny, C. 2013. The confluence of cultural richness and global identity in intracultural and intercultural negotiations. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Liu, L.A., Friedman, R.A., Barry, B., Gelfand, M.J., & Zhang, Z-X. 2012. The dynamics of consensus building in intracultural and intercultural negotiations. Administrative Science Quarterly, 57(2), 269-304.
- Adair, W.L. & Liu, L.A. 2011. Building shared mental models in multicultural multiparty negotiations: The dynamic process. Research on Managing Groups and Teams, 14, 57-78.
- Danis, W., Liu, L.A., & Vacek, J. 2011. Values and upward influence strategies in transition: Evidence from the Czech Republic. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 42(2), 288-306.
- Liu, L.A., Chua, C.H., & Stahl, G. 2010. Quality of communication experience: Definition, measurement, and implications for intercultural negotiations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(3), 469-487.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R.A., Liu, L.A., & McLean Parks, J. 2007. Racial differences in sensitivity to behavioral integrity: Attitudinal consequences, in-group effects, and “trickle down” among Black and Non-Black Employees. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(3), 650-665.
Selected for Academy of Management Perspectives, Research Brief, Nov 2007.
- Friedman, R.A., Chi, S-c., & Liu, L.A. 2006. An expectancy model of Chinese American differences in conflict avoiding. Journal of International Business Studies, 37(1), 76-91.
- Liu, L.A., Friedman, R.A., & Chi, S-c. 2005. “Ren Qing” versus the “Big 5”: The need for culturally sensitive measures of individual difference in negotiation. Management and Organization Review, 1(2), 225-247.
Bronze Medal for the Wiley-Blackwell Management and Organization Review Young Scholar Award.
- Cavusgil, S.T., van der Vegt, S., Dakhli, M., de Farias, S., Doria, E.F., Eroglu, S., Liu, L.A.,
Wang, E.Y. 2021. International business in an accelerated VUCA world: Trends, disruptions,
and coping strategies. Rutgers Business Review, 6(3): 219-243.
- Liu, L.A. 2021. Global skills and competencies. In S.T. Cavusgil, G. Knight, J. Risenberger
(eds.) Current Concepts in IB: Pedagogy Newsletter, Issue 15.
- Feng, J.B., Liu, L.A., & Jiang, C. 2019. What is parochialism? A beast that may block Chinese firms’ globalization. Management Insights, 4(3): 30-35.
- Cai, W. & Liu, L.A. 2010. Differences in willingness to express one’s opinion in U.S. and Chinese online consumer interactions. China Currents, Vol 9, No.2.
- Liu, L.A. 2010. Guidelines for negotiating in a multicultural world. In Inlow, L.B. (ed.) Mediating Workplace Conflict: Training Manual for the World Health Organization (WHO). Geneva, Switzerland.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R.A., Liu, L.A., & McLean Parks, J. 2008. The importance of behavioral integrity in a multicultural workplace. Cornell Hospitality Reports, Vol 8, No.17.
- Sharma, S. & Liu., L.A. Culture and communication. Forthcoming in Gelfand, M.J. & Erez, M. (Eds.) Oxford Handbook of Culture and Organization. Oxford University Press.
- Zhang, Z.-X. & Liu, L.A. (2022). China: The paradox of ‘catching mice in a china shop.’ In N. J. Adler & S. Sackmann, The grand challenge none of us chose: Succeeding (and failing) against the global pandemic. In J.S. Osland, S.B. Reiche, B. Szkudlarek, & M.E. Mendenhall (Eds.). Advances in Global Leadership (Vol. 14, 3-85). Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Liu, L.A. & Adair, W.L. 2017. Intercultural Communication in International Negotiation. In Y.Y. Kim & K. McKay-Semmler (eds.) The International Encyclopedia of Intercultural Communication. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell. DOI: 10.1002/9781118783665.ieicc0048
- Liu, L.A., Loch, K.D., & Bruce, D.C. 2014. Cultivating political wisdom like consiglieri in China and beyond. In J. Miles (ed.) New Directions in Management and Organization Theory (pp.339-352). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Liu, L.A. & Cai, W. 2013. Shared cognition and identity in negotiation. In M. Olekalns & W.L. Adair (Eds.) Handbook on Negotiation Research (pp. 75-102). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Qiu, J., Zhang, Z-X., & Liu, L.A. 2011. Cultural processes in teams: The development of team mental models in heterogeneous work teams. In A. K-y. Leung, C.Y. Chiu, & Y-y, Hong (Eds.) Cultural Processes: A Social Psychological Perspective (pp. 172-187). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Liu, L.A. & Dale, C. 2009. Using mental models to study cross-cultural interactions. In C. Nakata (ed.) Beyond Hofstede: Cultural Frameworks for Global Marketing and Management (pp. 222-244). Hampshire, England: Macmillan’s Palgrave.
- Zhang, Z-X., Chen, C. C., Liu, L.A., & Liu, X. F. 2008. Chinese traditions and Western theories: Sources of influence on business leaders in China. In C. C. Chen & Y. T. Lee (Eds.), Leadership and Management in China: Philosophies, Theories, and Practices (239-271). London: Cambridge University Press.