Lynn Comer-JonesClinical Assistant Professor School of Accountancy
- Ph.D., Georgia State University
- M.S. Accounting (Taxation), Appalachian State University
- M.Acc. (Audit and Systems), The University of Georgia
- B.A. (Cum Laude) Economics, St. Andrews University (NC)
Dr. Jones serves as the Master of Taxation Program Director. She is a licensed CPA (FL) and her professional experience includes Big 4 public accounting, Fortune 500 financial services, and a sole proprietorship. After several years in the accounting profession, she was a guest lecturer at Appalachian State University which was the catalyst to pursue a doctoral degree.
She completed her PhD at Georgia State University and has served on faculty at the University of North Florida, Valdosta State University, Mercer University (Atlanta), and adjunct at The University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill. Dr. Jones has published in The Tax Adviser, The CPA Journal, Strategic Finance, The ATA Journal of Legal Tax Research, Advances in Taxation, Issues in Accounting Education, and others. She enjoys mentoring students and challenging them for a successful professional career.
Dr. Jones is a member of the American Accounting Association (AAA), AAA’s American Taxation Association, and AAA’s Diversity Section. Her leadership experience includes Associate Dean for Accreditation, Assessment, and Continuous Improvement; Accounting Department Head; Board Chair and State Coordinator for the Florida Office of Women in Higher Education (an independent, state network for the American Council on Education’s Women’s Network); and multiple officer roles in the American Taxation Association.
- Cleaveland, M.C., Jones, L.C., and Epps, K. K., “Nonprofessional Investors’ Perceptions of Real-Time Corporate Tax Audits,” forthcoming at Advances in Taxation.
- Jones, L. C., Meyer, T., and Obana, C., “Sales Tax for E-commerce Still in Limbo,” Strategic Finance, September 2018, v100, n3, pp. 18, 20.
- Jones, L. C., and Cleaveland, M. C., “The Receipt and Redemption of Rewards Program Points: Tax and reporting implications,” The Tax Adviser, August 2018, v49, n8, pp. 522-526.
- Cleaveland, M. C., Jones, L. C., Carter, H., Obana, C., and Meyer, T., “The State Sales Tax Dilemma,” State Tax Notes, May 28, 2018, v88, n9, pp. 909-915.
Reprinted Tax Notes, May 28, 2018.
- Jones, L. C., and Carter, H., “Will the U.S. Supreme Court Overturn Quill?” Strategic Finance, April 2018, v99, n10, pp. 16, 18.
- Cleaveland , M. C., and Jones, L. C., “Church Politicking Post-Johnson Amendment,” Tax Notes, October 10, 2016, v153, n2, pp. 299-301.
- Campbell, L., and Jones, L. C., “Global Fight Against Tax Evasion,” Strategic Finance, April 2015, v96, n10, pp. 14-17.
- Campbell, L., Jones, L. C., and Smith, P. C., “An Exegesis of the Sec. 107 Housing Exclusion,” The ATA Journal of Legal Tax Research, December 2014, v12, n2, pp. 16-33.
- Campbell, L. and Jones, L.C., “Automatic Information Exchange and Enhanced Transparency: Working Toward a Solution for a Global Compliance Problem,” The CPA Journal, October 2014, v84, n10, pp. 32-37.
- Kaenzig, R., Jones, L. C., Pollard, W., “Accounting for Normal Rework Common To All Jobs—Capturing the Essence of Manufacturing Overhead,” Accounting Instructors’ Report, August 2014.
- Khosrozadey, N., McGinnis, J., Schnusenberg, O., and Jones, L. C. “Identifying Differences in Business Students’ Salary Expectations,” The Journal of Education for Business, January 2013, v88, n1, pp.16-25.
- Anderson, S. E., Jones, L. C., and Reed, T. N., “Insurance Fraud: Losses, Liabilities and September 11,” Issues in Accounting Education, November 2012, v27, n4, pp. 1119-1130.
- Jones, L. C., “Tax Court Rules on Medical Necessities,” The Tax Adviser, October 2010, v41 n10, pp. 698-701.
Based on the landmark GLAD case, O’Donnabhain v. Commissioner.
- Jones, L. C., Johnson, J., and Anderson S., “Master Limited Partnerships: Tax and Investment Issues,” The CPA Journal, December 2008, v78, n12, pp. 48-53.
- Jones, L. C., “The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008,” The Tax Adviser, July 2008, v39, n7, pp. 443-447.
Article used for the The Tax Adviser’s 2008 Yearbook, September 2008, v39, n9.
Article cited in The Tax Adviser’s Author Guidelines.
- Jones, L. C., “The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007,” The Tax Adviser, May 2008, v39, n5, pp. 297-301.
- Jones, L. C. and Brown, J. L., “Global Harmonization of Taxation,” The Tax Adviser, December 2007, v38, n12, pp. 718-721.
- Jones, L. C., “Definition of a Qualifying Foster Child,” The CPA Journal, August 2007, v77, n8, pp. 38-41.
- Anderson, S. C. and Jones, L. C., “Detecting Improper Portfolio Management Activity,” The CPA Journal, September 2005, v75, n9, pp. 22-27.
- Jones, L. C., Larkins, E. R., and Zhou, P., “How Engagement Letters Affect Client Loss and Reimbursement Risks in Tax Practice,” Advances in Taxation, v16, pp. 95-122 (2004).
- Larkins, E. R., Martin, M. J. L., and Jones, L. C., “Making the Right Tax Moves When Moving Abroad,” US Taxation of International Operations, January 1999.
- Jones, L. C., Pollard, W. B., Brazelton, J. K., and Kaenzig, R., “Ministers Face Dilemma Divining the Difference Between Employees and Independent Contractors,” Taxation of Exempts (previously Journal of Taxation of Exempt Organizations), v9 n4 (January/February 1998), pp. 1-5.
Reprinted Journal of Taxation of Employee Benefits, v5 n5 (January/February 1998), pp. 213-217.