- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., University of Texas at Austin
- B.S., Gujurat University, India
- marketing research and consumer research
- marketing metrics and marketing productivity
- e-commerce and e-consumer behavior
- cross-cultural issues
Donthu specializes in marketing research methodology and models, marketing metrics and marketing productivity, electronic commerce, comparative and outdoor advertising, brand equity, Hispanic consumer research, cross-cultural issues, and customer satisfaction research.
He has more than 90 publications in journals such as Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Business Research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Advertising Research and Journal of Retailing.
Donthu has consulted for many national and international companies, presented executive seminars to managers from many countries, and received industry support and academic grants to conduct research. He has served on the editorial boards of the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Research and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. He currently serves as the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Business Research.
Dr. Donthu received the 1997 Georgia State University Outstanding Faculty Achievement Award (university-wide award for extraordinary achievement in teaching, research and service), the 1994 and 1999 Robinson College of Business Faculty Recognition Award for Research, the 1998 Robinson College of Business Faculty Recognition Award for Teaching, the 2003 Robinson College of Business Faculty Recognition Award for Service, and the 2004 Robinson College of Business Board of Advisors Award for Service.
- “Implementing Integrated Marketing Science Modeling at a Non-Profit Organization: Balancing Multiple Business Objectives at Georgia Aquarium,” Marketing Science, with Kumar, V., Amalesh Sharma, and Carey Rountree, 2015.
- “Investigating How Word of Mouth Conversations About Brands Influence Purchase and Retransmission Intentions,” Journal of Marketing Research, with Baker Andrew and Kumar V, 2015.
- “Boosting Demand in Experience Economy,” Harvard Business Review, (Interview) with Kumar, V., Amalesh Sharma, and Carey Rountree, 2015, 93(1) 24-26.
- “How to Foster and Sustain Engagement in Virtual Communities,” California Management Review, with Porter, Connie, 2011, 53 (4), 80-110.
- “Cultivating Trust and Harvesting Value in Virtual Communities,” Management Science, with Porter, Connie, 2008, 54 (1), 115-128.
- “Marketing’s Credibility: A Longitudinal Investigation of Marketing Communication Productivity (MCP) and Shareholder Value,” Journal of Marketing, with Luo, Xueming, 2006, 4, 70-91.
- “Capturing Geographically Localized Misspecification Error in Retail Choice Models,” Journal of Marketing Research, with Rust, Roland,1995, V 32 (February) 103-110.
- “Estimating Geographic Consumer Densities Using Kernel Density Estimation,” Marketing Science, with Rust, Roland,1989, V 8 (2), 191-203.
- “The Intensity of Ethnic Affiliation: A Study of the Sociology of Hispanic Consumption,” Journal of Consumer Research, with Deshpande, Rohit and Hoyer, Wayne, 1986, V 13 (2), 214-220.