- Ph.D., Kent State University
- M.S., East China Normal University
- B.S., East China Normal University
- operations management
- supply chain management
- neural networks
G. Peter Zhang is the chair of the Department of Management. He also serves as the operations management area coordinator. His early research studied how to utilize artificial neural networks to improve forecasting effectiveness. More recently, his research is focused on how a company’s operations and supply chain related decisions or events impact its financial and operations performance. His has taught courses such as Operations Management, Project Management, Service Operations Management, and Business Analysis.
Dr. Zhang’s research has appeared in Decision Sciences, European Journal of Operational Research, IIE Transactions, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, International Journal of Forecasting, Neurocomputing, Production and Operations Management, Service Science, and others. According to Google Scholar, Dr. Zhang’s research work has been cited over 14,500 times. His research has won several Best Paper Awards from academic journals and conferences. The Robinson College of Business has recognized his research accomplishments, presenting him its college-wide award for excellence in research on three separate occasions. He has served as an associate editor of Decision Analytics, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, and Neurocomputing. Currently he is an associate editor of Decision Sciences and is on the editorial review board of Production and Operations Management.
Dr. Zhang received the college’s Faculty Recognition Award for Distinguished Contributions in Service in 2017. He was presented the Top Professor Award by students in the M.S. in Managerial Sciences Cohort in 2019.
- Xia, Y., T. Xiao, and G. P. Zhang, Service Investment and Channel Structure Decisions in Competing Supply Chains. Service Science, 11 (1), 57-74, 2019.
- Xia, Y., T. Xiao, and G. P. Zhang, The Impact of Product Returns and Retailer’s Service Investment on Manufacturer’s Channel Strategies. Decision Sciences, 48 (5), 918-955, 2017.
- Xia, Y., V. Singhal and G. P. Zhang, “Product Design Award and the Market Value of the Firm.” Production and Operations Management, 25 (6), 1038-1055, 2016.
- Zhang, G. P., J. Yu, and Y. Xia, “The Payback of Innovation: Empirical Evidence from Firms that Have Won Innovation Awards.” Production and Operations Management, 23 (8), 1401-1420, 2014.
- Zhang, G. P. and Y. Xia, “Does Quality Still Pay? A Reexamination of the Relationship between Effective Quality Management and Firm Performance.” Production and Operations Management, 22 (1), 120-136, 2013.
- Xia, Y. and G. P. Zhang, “The Impact of Online Channel on Retailer’s Performances.” Decision Sciences, 41 (3), 517-546, 2010.
- Zhang, G. P., C. Hill, Y. Xia, and F. Liang, “Modeling the Relationship between EDI Implementation and Firm Performance Improvement with Neural Networks.” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 7 (1), 96-110, 2010.
- Zhang, G. P., “Avoiding Pitfalls in Neural Network Research,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 37, 3-16, 2007. (Lead Article).
- Berardi, V. L. and G. P. Zhang, “An Empirical Investigation of Bias and Variance in Time Series Forecasting: Modeling Considerations and Error Evaluation,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 14 (3), 668-679, 2003.
- Zhang, G. P., “Time Series Forecasting Using A Hybrid ARIMA and Neural Network Model,” Neurocomputing, 50, 159-175, 2003.
- Zhang, G. P., “Neural Networks for Classification: A Survey,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 30 (4), 451-462, 2000.
- Zhang, G., B. E. Patuwo and M. Y. Hu, “Forecasting with Artificial Neural Networks: The State of the Art,” International Journal of Forecasting, 14 (1), 35–62, 1998.