- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S. QCF, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S. IE, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S., Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Applications of Machine Learning Algorithms in Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Market for Corporate Control, Ownership Structure and Family Firms
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Rasha Ashraf is a Clinical Associate Professor at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia. Professor Ashraf has been at Georgia State since 2007. Her research interests include corporate governance, market for corporate control, executive compensation, labor market, ownership structure and family firms, applications of machine learning algorithms in finance, and scholarship of teaching and learning.
Professor Ashraf has published papers in reputed academic, practitioner, and SoTL journals, such as Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Financial Management, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Investing, Journal of Financial Education, and Journal of Education for Business. She has made presentations at many of the premier finance conferences, such as, the American Finance Association Meetings, the European Finance Association Meetings, the Financial Management Association Meetings, the Financial Intermediation Research Society (FIRS), and Financial Education Association Conference.
Professor Ashraf teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on financial data analytics and machine learning algorithms, security valuations, financial statement analysis and loan structure. She has developed several undergraduate and graduate courses on artificial intelligence and analytics applications in finance.
Professor Ashraf received her PhD in Finance from Georgia Institute of Technology, MS in Operations Research from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) and B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. Prior to coming to academia, she worked at United Airlines – R&D and played a leadership role in the development of the international flight planning system.
- “Dual Agency Problems in Family Firms: Evidence from Director Elections” (with Huimin Li and Harley Ryan) Journal of Corporate Finance, 2020, 62
- “Cross-predictability of Industry Return in Trade Network: Using LASSO” Journal of Investing, October 2019, 28(6)
- “Student Motivation and Perseverance: Do They Explain College Gradation?” (with Jonathan Godbey, Milind Shrikhande, and Tracy Widman) Journal of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2018, 18(3), 87 – 115
- “Scraping Edgar with Python” Journal of Education for Business, 2017, 92(4), 179-185
- “U.S. Skilled Immigrant Employment and Public Firms” (with Rina Ray) International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, 2017, 9(1), 13-38
- “Institutional Investors’ Trading Behavior in Mergers & Acquisitions” (with Narayanan Jayaraman) Advances in Financial Economics, 2014, Volume 17, 229-281
- “Impact of Personality Types and Learning Styles on Performance of Finance Majors.” (with Fendler, R. J., Shrikhande, M. M.) Journal of Financial Education, 2013, Vol. 39, No. 3/4, 47-68
- “Do Pension-related Business Ties Influence Mutual Fund Proxy Voting? Evidence from Shareholder Proposals on Executive Compensation.” (with Narayanan Jayaraman and Harley Ryan)
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 2012, Vol. 47, No. 3, 567-588.
- “Takeover Immunity, Takeovers, and the Market for Non-Executive Directors” (with Rajesh Chakrabarti, Richard Fu, Narayanan Jayaraman) Financial Management, Spring 2010, 83-127