- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.A., Yonsei University
- M.E., Beijing Normal University
- emerging technology in capital market research (machine learning for unstructured data and blockchain)
- information economics and disclosures (analysis of text, voice and images)
- compensation contracting and target setting
Dr. Cao’s research interests are capital market research, disclosure (voice, text and image) and compensation contracting. A unifying theme in these research areas is to protect investors’ wealth and to increase firms’ value by conducting large-scale data analysis including unstructured data disclosed by firms. Dr. Cao joined Robinson School of Business at Georgia State University in 2013. His research has been published in leading journals such as the Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting Research, Contemporary Accounting Research and Accounting Horizon.
Dr. Cao commits to developing the research community at Georgia State University. Dr. Cao continues to host visiting scholars from different countries and helps to develop research projects. He teaches Ph.D. seminars in financial accounting and undergraduate courses in both financial accounting and taxation.
- Cao, S., Tao, M., & Wan, C. Forthcoming, Do Local Investors Always Know Better? Evidence from China’s Market Segmentation. Accounting Horizon
- Cao, S., Ma, G., Tucker J., & Wan, C. (2018) Technological Peer Pressure and Product Disclosure, The Accounting Review
- Cao, S. S. (2016) Reexamining Growth Effects: Are All Types of Asset Growth the Same? Contemporary Accounting Research
- Cao, S. S., & Narayanamoorthy, G. S. (2012). Earnings volatility, post–earnings announcement drift, and trading frictions. Journal of Accounting Research