- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
- MBA, University of Pittsburgh
- M.A., Ball State University
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh
- customer relation management (CRM)
- key account and salesforce management
- business-to-business marketing
Johnston’s research interests include application of behavioral sciences to marketing in the areas of customer relationship management and strategic account programs. He is an expert in network dynamics and relationship strategies, especially in sales force management.
Johnston’s research has been published in journals such as Journal of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Research, and Decision Science. He is a member of the American Marketing Association, Association for Consumer Research and the Academy of International Business. He has served on the editorial board of several journals and is currently the editor of the Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing and the director of the Center for Business and Industrial Marketing.
Johnston has conducted executive seminars in the People’s Republic of China, Australia, Korea, Singapore, Finland, Argentina and Slovenia. His most recent book is titled Managing Salespeople: A Relationship Approach.
- “Managing the content of LinkedIn posts: Influence on B2B customer engagement and sales?”, Journal of Business Research, 155, 2023, 113388, with Roberto Mora Cortez and Ayan Ghosh Dastidar
- “New evaluation metric for measuring sales training effectiveness”, Journal of Business Research, 156, 2023, 113458, with Joon-Hee Oh
- "The integration of logistics and marketing practice into baseline supply chain practices in the emerging markets", Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 38, 2023, (2), 367-383 with Kofi Dadzie, Charlene Dadzie, Evelyn Winston and Haizhong Wang
- “Driving participation and investment in B2B trade shows: The organizer view”, Journal of Business Research, 142, 2022, 1092-1105, with Roberto Mora Cortez, and Srinath Gopalakrishna
- "How post-merger integration duration affects merger outcomes", Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 2021, 36 (5), 807-820, with Joon-Hee Oh
- “The Coronavirus crisis in B2B settings: Crisis uniqueness and managerial implications based on social exchange theory”, Industrial Marketing Management, 88, July 2020, 125 135 with Roberto Mora Cortez
- "Performance Implications of CRM Technology Use: A Multi-Level Field Study of Business and Their Providers in the Telecommunications Industry," Information Systems Research, 2012, 23, (2), 418-435, with Alex R. Zablah, Danny N. Bellenger, and Detmar W. Straub
- "A Customer Relationship Management Roadmap: What is Known, Potential Pitfalls, and Where to Go," Journal of Marketing, 2005, 69, (4), October,155-166, with William Boulding, Richard Staelin, and Michael Ehret.