- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh
- MBA, University of Pittsburgh
- M.A., Ball State University
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh
- customer relation management (CRM)
- key account and salesforce management
- business-to-business marketing
Johnston’s research interests include application of behavioral sciences to marketing in the areas of customer relationship management and strategic account programs. He is an expert in network dynamics and relationship strategies, especially in sales force management.
Johnston’s research has been published in journals such as Journal of Marketing, Journal of Consumer Research, and Decision Science. He is a member of the American Marketing Association, Association for Consumer Research and the Academy of International Business. He has served on the editorial board of several journals and is currently the editor of the Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing and the director of the Center for Business and Industrial Marketing.
Johnston has conducted executive seminars in the People’s Republic of China, Australia, Korea, Singapore, Finland, Argentina and Slovenia. His most recent book is titled Managing Salespeople: A Relationship Approach.
- “Performance Implications of CRM Technology Use: A Multi-Level Field Study of Business and Their Providers in the Telecommunications Industry,” (2012), Information Systems Research, 23, (2), pp. 418-435, with Alex R. Zablah, Danny N. Bellenger, and Detmar W. Straub
- “Does customer information usage improve a firm’s performance in business-to-business markets?,” (2012), Industrial Marketing Management, 41, (6), pp. 984-994, with Minna Rollins, and Danny N. Bellenger.
- “When do B2B Brands Influence the Decision Making of Organizational Buyers? An Examination of the Relationship between Purchase Risk and Brand Sensitivity,” (2011), International Journal of Research in Marketing 28 (3), pp 194 – 204, with Brian P. Brown, Alex R. Zablah, and Danny N. Bellenger.
- “Is e-Marketing Coming of Age? An Examination of the Penetration of E-Marketing and Firm Performance,” (2007), Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21 (1), pp. 2-21 with Roderick J. Brodie, Heidi Winklhofer, and Nicolle E. Coviello.
- “A Customer Relationship Management Roadmap: What is Known, Potential Pitfalls, and Where to Go,” (2005), Journal of Marketing, 69, (4), (October), pp.155-166, with William Boulding, Richard Staelin, and Michael Ehret.