- Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
- M.S., Chinese Academy of Sciences
- B.S., XiDian University
- structured and unstructured data analytics
- algorithm design and machine learning
- operations and supply chain management
Dr. Xia is the Director of Institute for Insight and also the faculty director of the MSA program,
Dr. Xia’s research interests include structured and unstructured data analytics, algorithm design and machine learning, blockchain technology, and operations and supply chain management. He has been applying and advancing different analytics methods such as machine learning, deep learning, and text/image analytics to solve business problems in different industries. His research has been published in top journals such as Management Science, Operations Research, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Journal of Operations Management, and Decisions Sciences. His research has been supported by National Science Foundation and industries such as Amazon and Ryerson. He is currently a senior editor of Production and Operations Management, and an associate editor of Decision Sciences.
Dr. Xia has been recognized by his excellent performance in research, teaching and service over the years. He was recipient of Faculty Recognition Award for Excellence in Research in 2012 and 2017 at the Robinson College of Business, and his papers have been recognized with awards by society and events such as the Decision Sciences Institute annual conference and the Academy of Management annual meetings. Dr. Xia’s teaching has been recognized as well. In 2003, he was awarded the Texas Excellence Teaching Award; in 2015, he was voted as the MBA Teaching Top Professor, and in 2016, he was recipient of the Faculty Recognition Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Robinson College of Business.
Dr. Xia has been teaching Mathematical Foundations for Analytics, Deep Learning Analytics, Image and Text Analytics with Deep Neural Networks for MSA students, and Operations Management, Supply Chain Management and Project Management for MBA students at the Robinson College of Business. He oversees institute sprint projects, which utilize different machine learning methods to analyze both structured data and texts/images to provide business insights and actionable recommendations.
- “Multi-Dimensional Decision Making in Operations: An Experimental Investigation of Joint Pricing and Quantity Decisions”, with Ramachandran, K. and N. Tereyagoglu, Management Science, in press.
- “Product Line Extension and Technology Licensing”, with Chen L. and S. Gilbert, Production and Operations Management, 25 (6), 1121-1146, 2016.
- “The Role of Executive Problem Solving in Knowledge Accumulation and Manufacturing Improvements”, with Choo, A. and R. Nag, Journal of Operations Management, 36, 63-74, 2015.
- “Production Inventory Systems with Lost-sales and Compound Poisson Demands”, with Shi, J., M. Katehakis and B. Melamed. Operations Research, 62 (5), 1048-1063, 2014.
- “Order Behavior under Supply Risk: An Experimental Investigation”, with Gurnani, H., K. Ramachandran and R. Saibal, M&SOM, 16(1), 61-75, 2014.
- “The Payback of Effective Innovation Programs: Empirical Evidence from Firms that Have Won Innovation Awards”, with Zhang, P. and J. Yu, Production and Operations Management, 23 (8), 1401-1420, 2014.
- “A Study on Firms’ R&D Cooperation Behavior in a Supply Chain”, with Ge, Z. and Q. Hu, Production and Operations Management, 23 (4), 599-609, 2014.
- “Channel Structure and Complementary Products”, with T. Xiao and G. Zhang, Decision Sciences, 44(1), 39-56, 2013.
- “A Reexamination of the Relationship between Effective Quality Management and Firm Performance”, with Zhang G., Production and Operations Management, 22 (1), 120-136, 2013.
- “A Nonatomic-game Approach to Dynamic Pricing under Competition”, with Yang, J., Production and Operations Management 22 (1), 88 – 103, 2013.
- “The Impact of Online Channel on Retailer’s Performances: An Empirical Evaluation”, with Zhang G., Decision Sciences, 41(3), 517-546, 2010.
- “Acquisition Management under Fluctuating Raw Material Prices”, with Yang J., Production and Operations Management, 18 (2), 212-225, 2009.
- “A Production-Inventory System with Markovian Capacity and Outsourcing Option”, with Qi, X. and J. Yang. Operations Research, 53 (2), 328-349, 2005.